Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading through the thread 'Montrose 9/8 am' and saw pictures of Spawn Sacks. What exactly are these? And what do you do with them? At first I thought they were being kept for caviar, but after seeing them tied up into little balls, I don't know. Are they farmed and used to restock the lake? What's up with this? Curious...
-Alby-

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
They are eggs taken from salmon and tied together in small bunches to be used as bait. Salmon and especially trout feed on these and are a common bait. Generally, 8 eggs are tied together using specialized cloth. The amount of eggs can vary, but 4-8 seems to be the norm.

They can be fished under a float, or off the bottom. In some cases they are put directly on a hook, sans the sac. In Lake Michigan the larger spawn sacs seem to be the most popular using a float with the bait slightly off the bottom.

You can purchase canned or jarred spawn, but fresh spawn is the best, and should be readily available this time of year at bait shops.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys - I would have never guessed. So when looking to score some fish, you're better off with a fresh sack, thank with a not so fresh sack - come on, I know this... Ha! LOL!

All Chicago Salmon Fishers on the Great Lake of Michigan, may each of your sacks find a suitable mouth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.