Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that all the right hander spining reel i use left hand to reel in but baitcasting reel make their handles on right side.
which means I have to cast with my right hand/arm then switch arm to retrieve. but for the spinning reel, you cast with right and retrieve with left. no switching arm here. why? maybe I should change all my casting reels to left hander. do youguys also find that bit uncomfortable or is it just me???

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
That is a question that has been discussed before and I have no answer for you on why it is that way other than that's the way it is. Baitcasters come in right and left-hand versions. I would suggest trying a RH and a LH baitcaster and see what feels more comfortable in your hands. Personally, I use my left hand for spinning and my right for baitcasting and don't have a problem switching back and forth.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
twoglasseyes said:
Im hooked on left handed baitcasters. I will prolly never use a regular one.
And Im right handed. I just cant see any benefit of casting and cranking the reel both with your right hand.
I agree with you. I dont see any point of switching arms. too much of hassel. I will change all my baitcaster to left handed.
Anyone want to buy my Daiwa Luna300??? I only used it once.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
never did make much sense to switch hands after the cast. started using lefty baitcasters from the get go and never looked back. :mrgreen:

i suppose it's like skateboarding or snow boarding. Some people are regular foot which is led by the left foot, and some are goofy foot, like i am, with the right foot leading.

whatever your comfortable with I say! 8)

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
spinning left ,baitcaster right just 1 of those weird things I guess ,they both just feel right :D

When I give my spinning setup to my wife ,which she is right handed ,she says the handle is on the wrong side ,so she would be spinning right baitcaster right :?

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
I'm one of those too who had to buy a "lefty" baitcaster after using spincasting gear my whole life. Though there is really no way to phrase this without sounding, well ya know, it just feels strange cranking with the right hand. :shock: :oops:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I am less concerned over which hand cranks. But I dont think i would have as good rod control with my lefty. I was on the verge of buying a baitcaster yesterday but i went ahead and got a shimano spinning reel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.