Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've caught most of my LM bass this year using spinnerbaits, but am still not sure what the best technique is for using them. I seem to recall having better luck retrieving slowly and bouncing the spinnerbait off the bottom, as opposed to retrieving quickly. Also, they've produced more strikes in shallower waters than in deeper waters. But I've read from many sources that the spinnerbait is a very versatile lure and can be fished in many ways. So I just wanted to see what other WCF readers' opinions are about how best to use spinnerbaits. Thanks!

Fan

·
Super Moderator
6,086 Posts
One thing I have learned is that it is IMPOSSIBLE to reel a spinnerbait (or any bait) too fast. Burning spinnerbaits over emerging weeds in the Spring can get great reaction bites from bass and pike. I also like the YoYo technique when working over deeper water. I will cast shallow (3-5 feet), and as soon as the bait hits the drop-off, keep a tight line and let it fall. Right before it hits bottom I start reeling it slowly back to the boat, trying to stay as deep as possible. Watch closely for trailing fish when the lure gets close to the boat. Sometimes doing a 2nd Yo Yo drop in the deeper water will trigger lazy follows into strikes also. Those are probably my 2 best methods. Sometimes you can get them with a plain, straight retrieve, but in pressured waters it pays to work outside the box.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A belated thanks for the tips, Jason and Matt. By the way, do either of you, or anyone else, know where I can buy spare blades for my spinnerbaits? I'm looking to exchange the sliver ones that came with my spinnerbaits for some gold/copper colored ones. Preferably willow shaped blades. I don't think Wal Mart has them, and I don't remember seeing them at Dick's either, but with all the stuff they have, I could have missed it.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
There is a company called JoCO (that I actually worked for about 20 years ago for 2 weeks), that makes lure parts. I've seen the packages of stuff at Ed Shirley's. They have all kinds of blades. Perhaps at call to Ed Shirley's would be the place to start.

·
Super Moderator
6,086 Posts
Gander Mountain has a great selection of blades and parts. I make my own spinner rigs and was pleasantly suprised by their selection. I would give it a look.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FishinMatt said:
Gander Mountain has a great selection of blades and parts. I make my own spinner rigs and was pleasantly suprised by their selection. I would give it a look.
Thanks Matt. I think the closet Gander Mountain to me is about 35 miles away in Geneva, so I probably won't make it out there anytime soon. But in case anyone else is curious, I called Ed Shirley's on Dempster this afternoon and they confirmed that they carry replacement blades. They have copper colored Colorado blades and silver colored willow blades. I'll probably stop by there before I head out next time.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
you know, i'm not much of a spinner man, more plastic boy. but i'm going to try tossing out more spinners this year. hopefully i'll have better luck with them.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I stopped at Ed Shirley's (on Dempster) this afternoon before heading to Beck Lake. It was my first time there, and I truly felt like a kid in a candy store. What a selection! I got there around 5pm, and still wanted to save some time for Beck, so had to shop fast.

Picked up a pack of copper-colored Colorado blades for my spinnerbaits (which currently all have silver blades), and a rooster tail spinnerbait. I read on Fishing with the Wakeman's (www.kevinwakeman.com) that a gold/copper colored blade works better than the nickle/silver colored ones (at least for Kevin Wakeman in central IL).

Ed Shirley's didn't have the copper ones in willow style, but the staff there was really nice and helpful. So I exchanged one of the silver blades on my spinnerbait with one of the new copper-colored ones and headed for Beck. Caught a 17 in LM bass at around 6pm with the newly modified spinnerbait (and some poop... see Beck lake report for details). As I was finishing up for the day, I made one last cast ... the spinnerbait broke off the line as I was making the cast and sailed away into the middle of the lake. (Probably should have re-tied after catching the fish.) Oh well, at least I still have several more replacement blades now (as well as several $1 spinnerbaits from Walmart that I can attach them to).

Augy, I would definitely toss more spinnerbaits at Beck. At least I've had more luck with them (the $1 ones from Walmart) at Beck than anything other lures. I might be biased because I learned to fish as a kid using spinnerbaits, or maybe I'm just not patient enough to fish plastics :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts