Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that the trout opener will be 5AM on April 5th at Axe. Anyone going? It was a zoo last fall, but I'm planning to be there for a few hours anyway.

Hope to see some of you guys there.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
I'm cash, " as long as I'm with augy"! Hehe. Him and his trout that come out of axe head. Who knows maybe this time instead of pulling out a wierd coho/rainbow trout he will get a inland brown or weird steelhead strain. Who knows?!?!?!?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I can't really handle the crowds, but a couple years ago I totally aced the trout opener at Silver Lake in Blackwell FP.

I went an hour before sunset and got a spot on a point that like a dozen people just left. I used a tiny float with a flathead minnow and ended up catching four trout, as it started getting dark, a school of crappie moved in and I caught a few keepers. Then I found this guy's car keys in the grass and gave them back to him as he had just begun to freak out. That was a good day.

However, he last time I went to Axehead it was a complete disaster. The wind was howling, and it seemed like no one could control where their casts were headed or where their floats were drifting. I just couldn't deal with that.

I might give it a shot this season, only because I had a great time at Silver once

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Mandatory Fun said:
phil said:
I can't take the crowds anymore either. I'll probably just end up fishing Lake Michigan...more fun and bigger fish IMO.
Good call. You've inspired me to plan a trip up to Waukegan soon.
Mandatory, The fish you see of my salmon under (Because of Larry "AKA Legend075") Was caught at waukegan. that was my biggest salmon of the year and caught many more that night into morning, Me and Larry killed them in the Fall! But I lost my lucky Generic ratle-trap that caught most of them, and I can not find it anywhere. :( I was hooking into fish every few casts. once I lost it, it was over. No matter what type of ratle-trap I threw, it did not matter. Once I caught that fish and hooked up again within a matter of minutes, and then again hooking up with a fish! All around me all I heard was ratle traps. LOL I wish I could quite it down on the cast! LOL people listen and watch too much, but thats fishn'!

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
The trout openers at Axehead have sort of become a WCF tradition in that, twice a year, our members get to meetup and have some fun. I guess you can say it's our unofficial bi-annual gathering.

The crowds are a riot and its all part of the fun. It's a zoo yes, but our WCF crew usually claims a big chunk of real estate on very south tip of the lake. We make room for our members so don't let the crowds steer you away. Lots of BSing (mostly from Big Al) and good ole times. You guys should stop by even if you don't plan to fish. It's the event where you can meet many of our members. Just come down to the south tip and look for the most obnoxious group of idiots. :lol:

We usually meet up super early to claim the southend. #1cubsfan (Tony) is our Axehead real estate broker. :lol: He makes sure we get our spot thanks to his unusual fondness for ridiculously early morning wake up calls. And of course his enthusiam and love for fishing. We believe in you bud!

I usually show an hour and half before official opening right behind Tony and a few other WCF members. Nothing better than sipping on hot coffee and hanging out with a bunch of my fishin buddies as the sun rises. It's a beautiful thing!

Remember to bring those headlamps. Flashlights won't do you any good unless you plan to tape that sucker to your head. Get one if you don't have one. It's under $10 bucks and good investment. It's pitch black and you need both hands.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
I go here and there to cook trout for my grandfather as he loves them! Who doesn't like smoked trout..lol

I'd Recommend going getting your money back for your licenses and all the stamps you have to buy.lol

Very great tasting fish no matter how you cook them. Will be out not sure where, Not sure when..lol..

Westbranch is always a blast...20" stringers

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
George W said:
I go here and there to cook trout for my grandfather as he loves them! Who doesn't like smoked trout..lol

I'd Recommend going getting your money back for your licenses and all the stamps you have to buy.lol

Very great tasting fish no matter how you cook them. Will be out not sure where, Not sure when..lol..

Westbranch is always a blast...20" stringers
Ya Westbranch does has some nice size bows there especailly when they stock it in Spring. I heard wild farm trout is worst for you than the ones you catch out of LM. Is that true?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I couldn't agree more with Augy's comments, especially the headlamp. It's critical in the early morning hours. Some other recommendations:

1. Tie your rigs at home, so that you don't have to deal with 4lb mono in the dark and in the cold.
2. Bring a folding chair. It may be awhile before they start biting.
3. I always bring my coffee.

Hope to see you all there.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.