Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
U get what u pay for,definatly worth the money for a stronger lighter more sensitive rod !

But who am I to say I`m a fishinggearaholic lol.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Well Take it from a fisherman to a fisherman. More then 250 days out on the water a year. When you switch to one of these rods you will not go back. I didn't believe all the hype until I actually bought one the durability and sensitivity is remarkable. I'd say defintly !! Go for the rods !! There Great !

You won't go back, after you see the quality of a good rod.

I promise you

George

:D

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, toothdoc pair me up with a decent spinning reel to go with st. croix rod. Or anyone give me some suggestions as far as spinning reels. Right now i use Ugly-Stick rod and reel combo. Wal-mart special, but no complaints.

·
Registered
95 Posts
big al, what are you willing to spend on a reel. I love my quantum energy pti's. they run about $140. so does a shimano stradic. both are good reels if you are willing to shell out the $$. myself, I only fish w/ high quality stuff. that does'nt always mean the most expensive, but it is a pretty good rule of thumb. fishing is my passion and I wont sacrafice quality. Joe

·
Registered
593 Posts
Bought another yesterday!

Dicks has them on sale.

Since the price is set for all retailers, it was a deal at ~$10 off.

I also used that coupon in the DNR 07 book so i got $20 off.

Yep, from St Croix i own 4 spinning and casting rods and 1 fly rod.

The feel is unbelievable and the action and weight is outstanding.

I have one St Croix reel and I feel Shimano or Okuma would be a better match.

They need to focus on one market.

For flyreels, I didn't even consider the St Croix for $300..

Use the rod but match it with an appropriate wt reel..

:D

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'll tell ya for the money okumas are hard to beat. I have several including the aventa centerpin and the matching float rod and I love it. I'm looking at the new helios fly reel too. Joe

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
For the money Diawa reels can't be beat, hands down I will put them against a quantum or shimano any day in smoothness, hookset & handle/lineplay tightness. In my experiences with heavy usage quantums' are 2 year reels, shimano 3-4. Penn also has some top notch spinning reels. I have some old one's and new one's, they all work the same............great!

Don't buy the st croix reel, my buddy has one and it's garbage, it's like a zebco with a st. croix sticker slapped on it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I probably have over 20 reels and I find that I'm constantly using my two Shimano's...I have a Sahara and a Sedona. Great reels. I also think St. Croix's are well worth the money.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Actually, I believe that the St. Croix reels are made by Diawa. I remember reading this somewhere before. I still wouldn't buy them though.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Dont know about the reels, but I have 3 St. Croix Rods and I love them. Balance and Sensitivity are great. They are also very light and make my old Ugly stix feel like a 2x4's.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.