Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to go on a little recon after sleeping in today (hope everyone has a great time at WOW) and checked out the waters near the IL/IN border in search of brown trout that are attracted to the warm water discharged by the plants. Never gone here before, but decided to give it a shot.

Result - no browns

There were a few others guys out, and I didn't see anyone connect with trout.

On a stationary rod, I set up a slip rig, flouro leader, and lindy-rig type cork and kept spawn suspended about a foot of the bottom. In Chicago, setting bait near the bottom usually translates to goby thieving. In these warm waters, massive schools of shad are EVERYWHERE. They were pounding my brown spawn. There were thousands and thousands of schooling shad. It was a sight to see. Some of them were pretty damn big too.

On my noodle rod (felt REAL good winging spoons in the middle of winter!!!) I threw some KOs, Kastmasters, and some cranks, but nothing. I must've snagged at least 10 shad today casting.

Oh well, it was pretty cool to check out.

Couple of safety notes for the novice who is considering this location:
1. The stateline wwd is EXTREMELY dangerous to access. Its like walking on the south rocks at Waukegan, only this time, covered in ice and snow.
2. Be in decent shape. I'm not kidding either. You will get a workout getting out there. Any slip and you're gonna either fall through rocks or into the lake.
3. Don't bring kids (sorry little guys)
4. Don't consume alcohol (seriously, the stretch is tough.)
5. Wear ice cleats or creepers

Although I left without any trout, it was still cool to get out, do some casting, and fight a few fish on the noodle.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Looks Like tip-up Bait to me!!! :mrgreen:

Nice try out there, you will get em next time.. You are determined to get some browns. It will come sooner than you think!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.