Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't even know whether posting this is worth it because i get so much unnecessary shit from some people here but i thought venting on my situation may be o.k.

This past weekend while fishing my waters in northern Wisconsin, I experienced the most unfortunate of events. Worse than anything I could have ever imagined besides maybe dying in a boating accident!

On Sunday October 5th, I was fishing in Vilas co. in the Boulder Junction area, lake-hopping and fishing multi-species. The first lake was fished for Muskies (skunk) and the second lake was for Bass (awesome).

At the second lake when my friend and I switched over to Bass fishing is when the unfortunate incident took place. Prior to launching out on Little John Lake (east of Trout Lake/ west of Big Muskellunge), and even before we got there, we threw all of the Bass gear that was in my car into the boat and put all the musky gear tucked away and hidden into the car because I didn't want all of it in the boat.

We made it out to Little John Lake at approx. 1pm and enjoyed a decent but cut-short 2hrs of Bass fishing. While working the water in the northeastern side of the lake (500yds away from landing), we noticed two separate individuals walk down and observe the water. One was an older guy wearing hunter orange colors and camo while another was some guy in a jean jacket. Both people were there at separate times sometime between 1:30-2pm.

After maybe an hour of fishing the region near the landing, we made a run down to the opposite end of the lake.

After about two hours of fishing, an older couple came across the lake motoring over to us at about 3pm, asking whether the "tan station wagon with the busted window" was ours.

YEP! We immediately knew something bad was up and the enjoyment of some good Largemouth Bass fishing we had experienced was now lost!

As we arrived to the scene, the driver side window of my tan Ford station wagon was busted into and completely shattered. With the large heavy rock sitting sitting on top and placed nicely onto my dashboard in hopes of possibly trying to make a statement, whoever the culprit was apparently forgot to steal all of the visible electronics consisting of radar detector, I-pod, and other gadgets.... Also, we couldn't believe that he bypassed the 5 large plano stowaways sitting covered in my trunk with hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of musky baits.. Rather than take those items, he went for my 3 Musky rods and reels, and my friend's one rod and reel combo.

COMPLETELY BUSH-LEAGUE AND MADE DURING AMATEUR HOUR!

Noted above, I think it was definitely the hunter who was wearing the camo and orange... With the four rods going away for a walk, it seems likely that whoever did this came by foot.

At approximately 3:45pm, a call was made to the Vilas county Sherriff and immediately an officer rushed over to the scene to examine and document. A police report was filed (# 08-010757) and information was given.

The items stolen were the following. . . . All of which was bought brand new over last winter.

Rod 1) = 7.5ft Shimano Compre (med. heavy 2-6oz) $120, and Okuma Induron 400X w/ power handle ($120)

Rod 2) = 7ft St. Croix Premier (med. 1-3oz) $160, and Quantum Cabo 30PTS casting reel ($160)

Rod 3) = 7.5ft Gander Guide Series (med. 1-3oz) $80, and 1968 vintage Sweden Abu Garcia 6000C (all black + power handle / reel was used since day-1 by grandfather, restored over winter, and losing this one hurts the most)

As for my friend, he lost a 7.2ft Shimano Compre with a brand new Abu Garcia 6500 C3. About $200 set-up.

Insurance, neither car nor boat, would cover this one to make it worth it. Trust me.

Keep in mind that I JUST got into this Musky fishing stuff within the past year and this is a huge blow for me personally because it's all gone... Everything I saved up for and went out of my way to buy is lost and no longer to be. No more rods, and with the plethora of baits I have here with me, I have to do this all over again and spend so much unnecessary money again for some fish that I spend maybe 10-20 days a year for. . . . . . Kind of makes me just want to give up and quit this kind of fishing, but because I frequently vacation in "musky country", I can't!

I realize that there is really nothing much I can do regarding this vandalization incident as well the stolen rods and reels, but as a fraternity of anglers, I feel it would be proper to at least spread the word regarding this incident. . . If you have the time, maybe keep an eye posted on Ebay or Craigslist, look around at the area baitshops throughout Vilas and Oneida co., check the classified ads sections of newspapers in Vilas and Oneida co. to make sure whoever did it isn't out to make a profit. Last but not least, it'd be good to watch the other area boat landings so that these occurrences would no longer happen.

It's unfortunate and an unlucky break.

What happened is completely unfair, and have not smiled in 3 days, and I am now trying not to look forward to a long winter in which I will be turning poor from trying to re-stock and replenish my arsenal of Musky rods and reels.

Not asking for sympathy or get-well cards, nor for free gear or any kinds of deals. I just want to inform everyone that this shouldn't happened and it's a joke that it even did at such a great place and cool area for fishing.

Thanks.

Andrew

·
Registered
174 Posts
That sucks man. I know first hand on how it feels to have things stolen out of your car as I've lost over $2000 in audio equipment, broken windows, and other things on several occasions. We have a summer home in Northern Wisconsin and another in the UP so I'm up there quite a bit as well. All I have to say is once the locals see your Illinois plates on your car you see a completely different look on their face. I'm not saying there aren't any polite and compassionate people up there but some of the hardcore "********" hate us from down here.

·
Registered
654 Posts
That sucks! I sympathize with you.
On a lighter note, not much police activity in Vilas County if they're only on case #08-10757 (means only 10757 report #s pulled in 2008). Thats only 1000 per month! I need to work there instead. We're on case # 23100 as of today and I work in a small suburb.
On your next rods, inscribe an O.A.N. (owner applied number). Can be part of your DL#, SS#, initials or whatever. When an item with a serial # or O.A.N. is stolen the police can enter your stolen property into a statewide or nationwide database (depending on retail value). If it is pawned or located, the owner can be located based on the computer entry.
Good luck.

·
Registered
702 Posts
That's crap! I would agree, they see Illinois plates and the the locals turn a different tone. I have noticed this since going back up there starting four years ago, and it seems to be getting worse this past trip a few weeks ago. Thirty years ago when I was a kid going up there the locals were happy to see you, it meant money in the coffers!

It's stupid, I know, since tourism is what keeps many of the locals able to even stay living up there. But, far too many FIB's go up and tear up the lake or woods with ATV's and JetSki's and make honest and peaceful Illinois anglers look bad too. I rarely ever leave my car parked at a launch up there any longer afraid of exactly what you described, or worse! Thankfully it was only some rods and reels and not a total demolition of your vehicle, or an attack on you personally.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
It takes a real a-hole to steal another mans fishing gear.
That thought crossed my mind as well. Not that any type of theft is acceptable but the idea that someone would steal my fishing gear makes my blood boil. F'n jagbags.

Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
400 Posts
As a former Wisconsonite I can tell you there are a few bad apples from every state but becauuse there are so many Illinois people they tend to get targeted. I used to hear all the time that IL people were targeted by the cops and the WI people never get speeding tickets. That is a load of crap; I had so many speeding tickets as a WI resident I even lost my lic for a while. :oops: I have lived in both states and the people in Illinois are used to driveing well above the posted speed limits. Hence all of the tickets in Wi. :wink: Anyway, I am sorry to hear about your loss. It happened to me too in WI as a Wisconsonite. :(

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sorry to hear that, not only the fishing gear being stolen but man glass everywhere, driving home without a window too!

Hopefully something good comes out of this.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Sorry to hear the bad news...

I feel your pain I've had poles stolen from the back of my pickup just going in for a bag of ice, I was parked right in front, big glass windows on store front. In and out in a couple min's and they were gone. Another time fishing a local pond in Oakbrook they smashed my widow and destroyed the dash for a $120 cd/radio Caused 10 x the amont in damage than the player was worth...

Makes you angry for a long time...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Wow, that sucks. Sorry to hear, Andrew. Hearing this and other people telling their stories makes me wary about keeping all my stuff in the back of my Explorer. I keep it all there because it does me no good in the apartment.

It sucks about the insurance too. When I had my S10 pickup a few years ago, I had stuff stolen out of the back, including the tonneau cover. Insurance wouldn't cover any of it, because it wasn't actually part of the truck.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
What a D-bag.

It sucks even more since he left the rock sitting there on the dash. What kind of statement was he trying to make with that?

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
That really sucks. I am sorry to hear that. It took a lot of balls to leave that rock sitting on the dash.

Like Karen and Ringneck, I am a former Wisconsinite myself and I know that people from Illinois think that they are targeted. Having lived on both sides, I know that is not the case. I just hope that they catch the guy or guys that did that to you.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Sorry to hear bro, Thats just sucks man. I keep hearing more and more about fishing tackle theives. What is America coming to these days... :?

I hope you recover your gear, best of luck!

Dave

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Man that's bad news. They problably sold them for Cheese curds and Beer :twisted:

·
Registered
400 Posts
mmmm....cheese curds...

LOL

I once had my 280z broken into for the radio. The doors were unlocked but they broke the window anyway. (about $300 repair) then I had a special piece of wood cut and stained to mount the radio because it was a very odd dash set up. They took the whole damn thing. I was never able to install another radio because the mounting plate was gone. :x All of this trouble for a $100 radio. I wish they would have just asked me instead; I would have just given them the radio. :?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.