Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw the insert in the Sunday Herald today and took a trip to see what I could burn some money on.

Ended up purchasing:

A pack of Zoom Finesse Worms [black]
A pack of Zoom Speed Craws [watermelon w/red]
A pack of Gamakatsu EWG 4/0 Hooks

and a new combo consisting of an Abu Garcia Silver Max reel on a 6'6" Medium Berkely Lighting Stick. My brother has been using a Abu Garcia Black Max reel for a while and I really like the smoothness to it. Figured for $50 that combo ain't too bad.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RonG said:
Don't forget to use the $10 off $50 coupon that's in the IL Fishing Regs pdf. You can keep printing it over and over for the whole year.
I knew of no such coupon... :(

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Paul S said:
Do all you guys have a Dick's Score Card?
I get $30 to $100 per month to spend at Dick's by using the score card. Basically 90% of my fishing purchases end up being free. I walked out with a new Fish Trap shanty last winter and it cost me a whopping total of $5 (tax included)

For each $300 charged on the Dick's credit card, you get $10 to spend in the store. I charge gas, groceries, business expenses, most everything on my Dick's card each month and pay it off in full every month. This is just the stuff I'd normally be buying anyhow.

On top of cashing in the Dick's bucks certificate each month, I toss a coupon on top, like the $10 off $50. In the Entertainment book, they also have $15 off $75 and $20 off $100 coupons.

My basement is starting to look like a tackle store and I started running out of fishing gear that I needed to buy. So I've also used the bucks for the whole family's winter coats, boots, snowpants, Crocs, socks and tennis shoes. Got a really nice meat slicer for free a few months ago. PFDs, wetsuit, on and on and on.

I'd personally like to thank Dick's for the electronics they gave me for my kayak. 8)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Yep i have one also

Most cards pay 1%, maybe 2% if you use it instore.

Dicks pays 3.33% regardless.
Charge $300, get a $10 gift certificate.

Best deal is the free points coupons.
You'll get a monthly mailer with % off coupons.
Make a $5 purchase and get 200 extra points.

Last year I bought a StCroix rod for ~$40 using the DNR coupon linked above, plus I had a $60 gift cert.

I've used them also for family shoes, bike gear and for an archery target.
I still have a Cabela card, but it only pays 1% and 2% in store.

Dicks is ~5 minutes from our house and abela is ~40 in Gary, IN

:D

·
Registered
825 Posts
HMMMM- you got me thinking Ron. I do the same thing with my Cabela's Visa but I am only getting 1% back as a store rebate not 3.33% like you are. I'm wondering how much of my yearly fishing needs could Dick's cover. I'll have to ponder this one. Thanks for the tip.

By the way, my Discover for gas gives me 5% back monthly up to a certain amount. Then, you can cash in $40 in rebates for a $50 Cabela's gift card. Coupling all these rebates and coupons is the way I get my nice combos. Last fall I bought a Daiwa Team Daiwa Advantage reel ($140), Avid rod ($170), and Croix Legend Bass ($230). I spent something like a $100 out my pocket.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Usually expire within ~30-40 days.

Just short enough that its tough to combine them monthly.

Over the past few years I think only once or twice have i used 2 GC's together.
Usually they expire before you get the next one!

But i have use them to buy gifts for family!

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
I was under the impression at first that you couldn't combine the monthly certs, but I have done it a few times like when I bought the Fish Trap.

My BP card gives me 5% on gas, so I usually use that for petro and just redeemed that rebate and got a nice $350 check in the mail. Gotta shop smart...

Another story: A month ago, used my points and coupons and got $100 of stuff. With tax, rang up at $17. Part of the purchase was an AG combo with a $20 rebate. Bottom line is I went home with $100 of stuff and am being paid $3 cash for doing so. :lol:

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I also have a Cabelas visa and only get 1% back for most purchases. I;ve been thinking about getting a BPS credit card but don't know how many points you get per dollar with their card. Anyone have one from BPS?

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Islandfisher said:
I also have a Cabelas visa and only get 1% back for most purchases. I;ve been thinking about getting a BPS credit card but don't know how many points you get per dollar with their card. Anyone have one from BPS?
Points: Earn 4% on every net retail purchase of Bass Pro Shops-branded merchandise§
Earn 2% on net retail purchases made in Bass Pro Shops retail stores, catalogs or at basspro.com§
Earn 1% on net retail purchases at more than 22 million places your card is accepted

-------------------------------------
Nothing beats the Dick's credit card at 3.33% on everyday purchases anywhere. I use mine when shopping @BassPro and Cabela's. :lol:

You also get double points using the card at Dick's (6.66%). I bought an elliptical machine there for $1000 and got back $66.66 in bucks.

A week later, I found a 25% off Sports Authority Friends and Family coupon. I took it to Dick's with the receipt. Even though my elliptical purchase was one week prior, they applied the competitor's coupon and gave me back $250!

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
i remembered seeing this thread about the dick's $10 off $50 coupon and did a search...forgot the "s" in dick's and so my search ended up being....you guessed it! a "dick coupon"!! roflmao!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.