Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased one of those big bluegill swimbaits (8 inches) and i was wondering. The swimbait is really heavy will i be good fishing with 15#. I dont wanna lose it because i spent some money on it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
RonG said:
I can't help you. Your bait is bigger than most fish I catch. :oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I feel your pain!

·
Registered
953 Posts
That's a very large bait to be throwing on a spinning reel setup. In fact, that bait would be most effective for pike and musky and then your talking about a heavier baitcasting setup with braided line preferably. The weight of that lure probably exceeds the weight limits of your rod. I believe these baits weigh around 6 or 7 ounces in the 8-inch size. That would require an XH rod. You might have a lure too big to throw on what you have.

·
Super Moderator
6,273 Posts
I have been amazed at some of lures I have seen Coyote throw on heavier spinning gear. One suggestion I would have is to fish it on braid. If you are going through weeds you will have a tough time with mono.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got a 41 inch muskie out of shabbona on the lures last year and it was the last fish that lure claimed cuz it was ripped to all hell. They have great action just not durable but fifteen bucks for a muskie is worth it for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.