Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
Hmmm... looks like a cross of white perch and carp. Don't think there is such a thing though. Kinda hard to tell from the perspective, but i'd have to say a white perch.

(The image link didn't work, but copy and paste the url)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Looks like a mutant drum. Of course it did come out of the river so it certainly could be mutant. :shock:

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
I see absolutely nothing wrong with the fish.

looks Like a Drum (Sheepshead) Same ones that come out of the fox or any other body of water, it's chubby and that's the only thing that stands out. No defects that i see, there Seen as bottom feeders but will attack cranks and spinners drum our native to us and a beautiful specimen.rawr

And nice job on the drum on the inline spinner, this Fish is something to be proud of. Nice fight huh.. ? Keep the reports coming Nice job

George

:D :D

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Sheephead/Drum... They make great Cut Catfish Bait for the fox river, get rid of the fins/tail/head and use a chunk of the body with the scales n all ;) I have caught many cats out of the fox river doing this on my buddies river house. Set out a few lines while sitting around a fire right by the rivers edge :lol:

I personally would kill them off. They are no good for our system. BUt are really common in the fox river! :wink:

·
Banned
655 Posts
WrenchingnFishing said:
I personally would kill them off. They are no good for our system. BUt are really common in the fox river! :wink:
No good for the system?

They're scavengers, they eat all of the crap mussels, clean the river bottom, and like Suckers/ Redhorse they are indicators of good water quality.

A little deceiving because it came from the CHI river but ask anyone and look it up.

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Drum can be boat load of fun. I think they get a bad rap because they end up on anglers lines who are targeting other species. I used to catch a ton on Powerton when smallmouth fishing. It kind of a drag to get a big rip on an artificial, think it is a 4lb smallie, and have it turn out to be a drum. The same things happens on the Chain when eye fishing. Just ask JD :lol:

·
Registered
400 Posts
I know that they are good for the river, but I hope I do not catch one anytime soon. Those things are just nasty looking! :shock:

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Matt makes a good point -

I've also found sheep to be the most disappointing walleye I catch :wink:

But they do fight hard and when you're battling a skunk, sheeps can save the day.

Also, in Chicago, there is actually a group of hardcore sheephead anglers who will fish the lakefront for them in July when the perch season is closed. They will fish off the Montrose Horse Shoe and cast way out there with bottom rigs and whole crayfish. Some of the sheephead can grow pretty large in Lake Michigan, with some anglers catching 10# fish. Its a degree of urban angling many fishermen are completely unaware of. It's something that even entices me because of my easy access to the lakefront and is a probably a great way to spend a summer day at the lake

Many of these hardcore anglers enjoy the taste of sheephead. As a matter of fact, freshwater drum (aka the SHEEP) is sold commercially in our neighborhood grocery stores. Obviously, there is some appeal.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.