Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has a pond he estimates being about 200 yards long by 50 yards wide in his subdivsion. He dose not know the depth yet. Its a fairly new development about 4yrs old. It is not airated...

He was asking what it would take to get a population of bass and gills going in there. Dose anyone have any experence in what it takes to accomplish this ? Where he can purchase fingerlings?

I told him to start looking for info on the IDNR site.

Anyone with any other suggestions?

Thanks...

·
Registered
139 Posts
The state most likely already stocked it.

I believe you're actually required to stock land locked ponds/lakes with fish to prevent insect infestation. So the DNR charges the builder and manages the water

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I believe that the DNR has to stock it, but not maintain it. So they are the property of the subdivision and not public property.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am not sure about how things work up here in IL, but back in Indiana the fish and water in a pond are public property regardless if the landowner stocked the pond. If you can access the water by public means without stepping foot on private land they are fair game so you would need to be in a boat or on the ice. This is hard to accomplish unless the private lake has a creek or entry point from a road or creek.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
From what I know. All pods and Lakes in IL must be stocked to keep mesquitos down, plankton, algae, parasites and etc... Any standing body of water Must be stocked. I have fished 1 acre ponds and smaller that have had bass and gills in them. I'm not sure as for e pond beng 4 years old. You will have to contact the DNR / Conservation Police on that one...

Hope this helps a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.