Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to freak anybody out but if you haven't heard anything yet, you don't know that this thing is on the move. The more people know how to protect themselves, the better the chances of getting off scott free

Over 1000 cases in Mexico, and 11 cases in the U.S.. So far, it has a 8% fatality rate for those infected. The Spanish flu of 1918 had a 2.5% kill rate and killed 40 million people. Its allready here in the US, and officials expect it has already spread more than the reported cases because symptoms take days to show.

How to Protect yourself(taken from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ben-sherw ... 91459.html)

1. Sanitize
-- i.e. Wash Your Hands Frequently. It may sound obvious, but hand-washing with soap and water for around 20 seconds is the single best thing you can do (if you're going to go out into the world and interact with other human beings). The CDC estimates that 80 percent of all infections are spread by hands. If you can't wash your hands regularly, try hand-sanitizers with 60 percent alcohol content.

2. Avoid -- i.e. Engage in Social Distancing." That's the fancy term for staying away from other people if you're sick or if you're concerned that they may be infected. It may not be especially practical when you have to go to, say, work, but experts believe it's worth repeating: Isolation and avoidance reduce your chances of getting infected or infecting others.

(Researchers in the UK - mentioned above and sponsored by a common cold remedy - found that 99 per cent of commuters suffer at least one cold per winter. By contrast, 58 per cent of peole who work from home and 88 per cent of those who walk to work caught a cold last winter).

3. Be Alert -- i.e. Recognize the Symptoms and Get Help. Swine flu symptoms are similar to regular flu: Fever, body aches, sore throat, cough, runny nose, vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy. If you don't feel well, seek medical attention. The current swine flu is resistant to two of four antiviral drugs approved for combating the flu. Symmetrel and Flumadine are apparently no use against this strain but Tamiflu and Relenza appear to work.

What are the chances of a global pandemic? "The situation is uncertain and unpredictable and likely to be a marathon more than a sprint," says Dr. Richard Besser, acting director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Swine flu will dominate news headlines in the days ahead. Every case will be carefully tracked -- and deservedly so. And every sneeze should be covered -- preferably with the crook of an arm, not a hand, which inevitably spreads the germs to so many others.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I wouldn't worry about this 36,000 people die a year from the common flu. Has anyone in the US died from this yet? These pandemics are just fueled by the 24 hour news medias that are constantly looking for something to promote.

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
I met with the OEMC and others yesterday. They think it is alot of hype, but they are taking preperations as always. Being in the lodging industry, hygiene and sanitation is always at the forefront, so I have had to do more swine flu research as well as policy and procedure writing then I care to regarding this. I went over it a staff meeting today and people were suprised to find out that it is Type A Influenza. The way the media covers it you would think it was Super-AIDS.

BTW-2 suspected cases down the street from my house at Marmion :shock:

·
Registered
560 Posts
well working at a level one trauma center in illinois I have a strong chance of being exposed. Like matt said I think much is hype but we are taking it very serious. The only good thing for me is I work in the o.r. so i always wear a mask. I think this will simmer down like sars did. Lets hope it doesnt get as bad as they are saying. lets be ready for when the bass flu hits then I will worry :mrgreen:

·
Registered
428 Posts
As the eloquent speaker Flava-Flav one said, "Don't belive the Hype". Do you all realize that regular flu kills some 35,000 people each year. Not to mention all the people dying of cancer, heart disease, etc. Media is amping all this crap up to sell more ad space. Trying to scare the shit out of us once again. I'll lay odds that all the board members of all the majior news outlets bought stock in Purell (hand sanitizer) before they leaked the "swine flu pandemic" stories.

·
Registered
593 Posts
lets say 1,000 cases in the USA and 5 die
still sad for families, but the odds are better you hit lotto than perish from This virus...

1,000 / 150,000,000
Thats 1 in 150,000 you get the virus.

fatality from the virus is 1 in 30,000,000

Better chance of dying by shark bite and we are averaged in by everyone!
And we are living 1,000 miles from the ocean.
Again sorry for the families that fall ill or die, but it is the "Ggreat Germ Hype!

:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.