Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first started freshwater fishing, I always forgot to get a tape measure to keep track of the fish that I landed. I went to several local tackle stores, but all they had were the bulking ones. I thought of getting a regular one from a hardware store but they are usually too stiff. I finally found one at Bass Pro Shop for $0.99. It's retractable and flimsy. I read several reviews that said it broke often, But at $0.99 each, I think I'll just get a case or something.

Another cheaper way is to go to Ikea and they have free paper tape measures to use in their store. You can always score several of those.

Anyone else have a better solution that they want to share?

·
Registered
107 Posts
i just use a retractable from a hardware store... it is stiff, but that doesnt hurt anything in my opinion... on a boat most people have a stick that measures and doesnt bend at all, so i almost think stiff is better and gives a more accurate measurment... plus it just clips to my belt, so i can use it quick and get the fish back in the water asap

hope i helped

·
Super Moderator
6,231 Posts
For beating the shores, the cheap 99cent tape measures are priceless for bass fishing. Small, easy to carry, and if they break, oh well. I do like the boards that Toothdoc uses, but being a pike fishermen at times, I can never find any big enough. Even if I found one that went over 40'', it is a little bulky to carry around. Bump boards are priceless for bass tournaments though.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
For a boat, get a piece of rain gutter, a yard stick and some pop-rivets. Put a cap on one end of the gutter and rivet in the yard stick with zero at the capped end. Then lay in a fish and measure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.