Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at BPS to check out the trolling motors because I will be buying within the next few weeks (MinnKota PowerDrive V2 w/ universal sonar - $600). In addition, I was also on the prowl for the NEW Quantum Energy rods as I need to upgrade and get three of them but none were present. They're listed online and in catalog but not in store. What gives????!!!!??? I 'aint gonna buy online or from catalog until I can touch and test them.

Anyways, I got the motor all set and picked out. Could have bought today but since we took my dad's little car, the thing wouldn't have fit.

Moving onward, I checked out the reels.

A reel that caught my eye pretty good is the Daiwa Tierra casting reel ($120). The thing seemed smooth, and strong. Has great looks as well.

Not really a HUGE fan of Daiwa and never thought I'd be seeing myself ever use one but jeeeeez, after playing with this reel, I seem to be convinced that this will be replacing my Shimano Cardiff of 4 years, for the Bass Crankin' sometime soon.

However, my only complaint thus far is that it has a very very low drag capacity unlike those powerful Quantums I use. Drag is only maxed out at 8.8lbs of pressure while my Quantums can religiously handle anywhere from 14 to 18lbs of pressure.

If no Tierra, I'll be getting another Quantum Accurist, possibly the new Burner edition, for the same price.

This purchase isn't a necessity as I've got far more important crap to get relating to rods and boat accessories, but this is something to consider for the future.

What'cha think guys?

Good reel? Worth a try and a buy?

If not this, I'll be getting myself the Accurist as I get some free perks with each purchase I make with Quantum.

thanks.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Andrew before you buy check out Min Kota site for refurb's. They are motors that never left the building but when they came off the line they didn't work right. They have a full time older gentleman that takes them apart right there on site and repairs them and they are way cheaper and still come with a warranty. I've been told this by a few different guys that have bought them at about 1/2 price and have not had any problems.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
lol Tim, This years TD reels dont impress me ,looks like they were just filling in empty spots in the product line lol
Last years models were much better like the Sol & Fuego .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.