Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far, I haven't seen anything posted about the Techny Basin in Glenview. I run my dog in the basin daily, and lately we've seen fish jumping out of the water. The area I am referring to is north of the North Navy Ditch Trail, east of Lake Glenview. The Basin is behind a Jewel Grocery Store, the Chicago river flows around the Basin. Why don't my dog and I see more people fishing here or hear more about the big fish we see jumping?
Newbie question, I know, but c'mon . . . you call yourselves "Windy City Fishing!" Check this spot out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Julie.Minasian said:
So far, I haven't seen anything posted about the Techny Basin in Glenview. I run my dog in the basin daily, and lately we've seen fish jumping out of the water. The area I am referring to is north of the North Navy Ditch Trail, east of Lake Glenview. The Basin is behind a Jewel Grocery Store, the Chicago river flows around the Basin. Why don't my dog and I see more people fishing here or hear more about the big fish we see jumping?
Newbie question, I know, but c'mon . . . you call yourselves "Windy City Fishing!" Check this spot out.
sweet, thanks for the tip! Ima check that out on google maps and maybe check it out tomorrow

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I live in Glenview too and often have wondered about that area. I think that most likely those are carp that you are seeing. The water is quite shallow and probably wouldn't be deep enough for game fish to be in it. Not to mention they would have had to have been planted there somehow. :?

·
Registered
339 Posts
That basin is a spill over for the north branch of the the west fork of the chicago river and I believe it was put there so the river doesn't flood the Kohl's parking lot and flood that newly developed subdivision directly behind the Jewel. When we get heavy rains it fills up with fish about 10 years ago a buddy of mine and I went back there for some carping after I had seen it filled with water after some really heavy rains. By the next day when we finally were able to get out there it had totally dried up. A lake one day a muddy ditch for mesquitos the next.

I can't believe all that beautiful Techny land that is now gone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was with my dog at Techny yesterday. I agree the actual basin might not be such a great fishing spot, but there is a large pond next to the basin (the south-east corner, south of the Heatherfield Development. This is where the blue herons hang out. This spot can be accessed by way of a field that separates the North Navy Ditch trail area and Techny Basin. I KNOW THERE ARE FISH IN THIS BIG POND (not just carp)!

Sure, there is too much development pretty much everywhere, I agree with that. But there have been more days that my dog and I have had the entire area to ourselves than when we have see even one person! That's when I feel lucky, in spite of all the newer housing developments.

A few weeks ago, we spotted the biggest snapping turtle I have ever seen. Its tail looked like an alligator's! Be careful if you see this guy; he doesn't look like he appreciates all the loss of his habitat either. :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.