Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
In many situations - yes. Depends on several factors though. Almost too many to go into now.

But as a general rule - in clearer water and when the fish are reluctant to strike ANYTHING, the most natural presentation is the best way to go. This includes line weight. Lighter line "usually" allows the bait to appear more natural.

Personally, i've always been a proponent of "lighter is better" with fishing line. But i'm more of a finesse fisherman. Many like to rip and roar baits through weeds and move lures faster. For that a heavier line is suggested.

·
Registered
107 Posts
personally i dont feel that # or diameter will have much affect on whether or not a fish will strike. i have caught bass and musky on the same 80# spiderwire setup. but if you are throwing small baits then obviously dont use a line that will keep it from the action it is suppossed to have. a heavy line can stop a lure from acting like it should just like a leader that is too heavy might stop a topwater bait from "walking" properly. for the most part as jason said just make it natural so lighter line would interfere with the lure less.... right? i use 30# fireline on my lowprofile for bass and pike and 80# spiderwire on my round reel for musky. like i said i have caught bass on the musky set up and my dad has caught musky on his 12# mono while shorefishin for bass as sunset. so if a fish is hungry it will strike anything as long as the action is rigfht in the lure. i say just use a line you are comfortable with... if you like the feel of a heavier line then use that, if you like lighter line then i would use that. personally im too quick to horse many fish in and probably could not use 6# line. plus even throwing jigs i have line snap sometimes because of all the stress i put on the line when i cast. in the end i think it really just comes down to use what you feel comfortable with while still being able to get good action in the lure... hope i helped :)

·
Registered
825 Posts
InfamouzFisherman said:
Does fishing light pound line help ur chances on catching fish? y? ppl tell me nothing over 8 #. unless cats n carp
I don't use anything over 8 lb for spinning gear. For baitcasters I use nothing under 12 lb. You cannot effectively catch bass in heavy cover with 8 lb line. I've gotten away with 10 lb but that was not planned. When I am pitching jigs or bulky plastics, I use 15 lb-17lb line. Now dropshot, shakey-head, and senkos are a different story- I usually use 8lb or 6lb with the DS.

Yes, lighter line gives better action but at what cost? If you can't set the hook and stick the fish, does it matter what the action of the lure is? If you are worried about fish being line-shy, go with flourocarbon. It is nearly invisible in the water. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fishing 8 # test at the harbors Would I be able to pull up bass off a crank? I normallly fish with 10. thanks everyone. all your advice helps. i might go down to the river for panfish

·
Registered
748 Posts
Depends a lot on the lake,i fish geneva a lot,4 pound max6 pound flour,about 5 years got to know a geneva guide,told me to go that route ,La salle 8-10 pound Water clarity fishing pressure what kind of fish it all matters ,but always go lite as possible

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.