Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be up at my parents house for Thanksgiving weekend, they live in Yorkville.

I know almost nothing about the area, have only visited a handful of times and haven't been able to fish any of those times. But since I will be there for a few days I have to ask: What could I expect fishing-wise in the river during that weekend? I figure its gonna be cold but Pike and muskies are still relatively active in coldwater, no? I haven't done any serious freshwater fishing in a while so I could be wrong.

Anyway any tips or advice on..well, anything: places to go, fish to target, what to use would be greatly appreciated. I would love to bring up the 9 wt and get a fly in front of some toothy critters but I realize that might be a pipe-dream for the time of year, so I'd be willing to try other things.

Feel pree to PM or e-mail if you don't want to publicly give anything away.

Thanks,
-Mike

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
My choice would be- Spinning gear, 6-8lb mono line, 1/16-1/8oz plain jigheads tipped with minnows.

Work the current seams that drop in to pools. Also if any bridges around, work the water around the supports, especially the backside.

Ken G. probably has some more great info too. That's his home waters I beleive.

Good luck!

·
Banned
41 Posts
after locating a muskie in the river that ate a little minnow and cut the line i went back the next day with my muskie gear and casted for a while and no luck. im guessing your best bet is to just use minnows with light gear and you'll have just as good as a shot at muskie.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
You could fish around the dam with everyone else, but I wouldn't. Those fish have seen everything. Can probably still catch a few, but I wouldn't do it.

Freemans is right near the dam. He'll have everything you need.

Just west of Route 47 is a parking lot that leads down to the river. I would get in there and zig zag back and forth across the river all the way down to the islands, at least.

Just be careful, the water is up a bit and it can get pretty deep down the middle and on the north side as you get closer to the island. The south side produces well if you're patient if you can't get across the river.

Again on the south side, there is a ridge of limestone that comes off the shore and heads for the front of the island. If you know how to read water, you'll see the break in the water surface. It's about 4 to 5 feet deep in front of it and a little over knee deep behind it.

Guess what likes to hang out in those kinds of areas. :lol: :lol:

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Too add to what already has been posted, the eyes can be really good there in the cold water months. Jig and minnow or just plain jig and split shot work. Waders help to cover water but you can still catch some fish w/o them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow! thanks for the wealth of info guys, much appreciated.

If anyone is down for meeting up an fishing let me know, I'll be getting in Wednesday night and leaving Sunday Afternoon. I'll be with the fam in Chicago Saturady I think, outside of that and turkey diner I shoud be able to get free.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.