Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out on the ice at 7:30am and fished solo till 3 pm and just destroyed the white bass witha few sheephead. They were hitting it so fast that the bait never had the chance to hit bottom. Man was it fun today. They were caught on plastics and pimples tiped with a spike. Looks like i'll be heading out there again tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Nice job Legend-

It's nice to see a bit of variety in the mix....the bluegills do get a bit old.

Nice pic!

JB

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Guys. The Chain has always treated me good. Out of my 5 years of ice fishing I have never got skunked there. Best place to ice fish in IL in my opinion.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Legend075 said:
Got out on the ice at 7:30am and fished solo till 3 pm and just destroyed the white bass witha few sheephead. They were hitting it so fast that the bait never had the chance to hit bottom. Man was it fun today. They were caught on plastics and pimples tiped with a spike. Looks like i'll be heading out there again tomorrow.
Are sheepheads good for eating too? Back in colleges days, me & a few buds used to go fishing at starved rock often and every time one of us catches a drum, one guy(most experienced fisherman out of us) would always tell us to throw it back cuz it tastes like s%#t. So to this day, I thought drums aren't normally eaten. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
babyduke said:
Legend075 said:
Are sheepheads good for eating too? Back in colleges days, me & a few buds used to go fishing at starved rock often and every time one of us catches a drum, one guy(most experienced fisherman out of us) would always tell us to throw it back cuz it tastes like s%#t. So to this day, I thought drums aren't normally eaten. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Its depends how you cook it. I 've only eaten it a few times as I am a Walleye & Crappie man but it an't to bad.

The fish is 1st scaled and gutted with its head chopped off. Then the fish gets placed on a wok for steaming with green onions, giner, and slontro (SP). While the fish is steaming I prep a side dish of Soy Sauce, Sesamie oil, water, sugar & salt that is mixed. Also on the stove there is a pan of oil that is heating up.

Once the fish is done steaming the dish gets taken out of the wok and placed on the table. Then the hot oil gets poured over it but be carefully as it will sizzile. Then goes the sauce. Dont forget the bowl of rice with it.

Every year me and my cousin head west to the mississippi river for the sheephead run. Pretty fun hauling in 10-20lbs sheepheads. I have a pic of a 20# sheephead but cant get the pic to post as it is saved on my phone.

Here is what it looks like but these are white bass

·
Registered
341 Posts
LOL, did you learn that recipe from your mom? I'm chinese and my mom makes fish EXACTLY the same way you just stated. And I mean EXACTLY!!! Of course there are different variations from time to time such as adding cubed tofu in the sauce/hot peppers, but your post definitely makes me hungry seeing as I'm starving in my dorm room right now, LOL.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.