Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Water Eye Purple Bicycle handlebar Human body
Automotive lighting Hood Gesture Vehicle door Glove
Woke up to a chilly 35 degree start to the day., today. Kinda made me think of the bigger picture & realize that open water is not long for this part of the world. Plenty of good fishing yet to be had, but the mornings are getting cold, fall colors are starting to come in. Getting colorful for sure.

On another topic, as of the 1st day of fall, the walleyes are right where they're supposed to be.........on the end of my line馃槈.

Had a special celebrity guest appearance this past weekend that forced me to get my priorities straight & find some fish for us to catch. The plans success was marginal. Although I do believe a fish fry or 3 was procured, I had hoped to be able to get my friend on a better bite. In spite of mediocre fishing, it was a hoot with a handful of decent crappies & walleyes to release to grease, & fantastic company. Caught most of our fish from dikes, dams & bridges, on mostly jig/plastic & some on hair.

Im sorry to say, Badger, but since monday the switch has been flipped on. Been making a stop after work on the way home & it has panned out like this:

Monday- 18", 16", 16" walleye in <15 minutes, minimal sorting of undersized.
Tuesday- 17", 15", 15.5" walleye in about 25 minutes, moderate sorting.
Wednesday- 19", 16.75", 15" walleye in an hour with moderate to heavy sorting.
Everyone of those caught on a 1/8 purple/black hair jig.
Keith, you know the spot馃槑
Hoping to stick a biggun one of these outings.

Registered
Awesome will be hitting the river this weekend one of my sons friends picked up 2 nice Kings last night so may have to make a trip out to the big lake too

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ending is nearer, but solid action continues.
The weather for the last few weeks has been unbelievable, for the most part. The skeeters are a non-issue with a chilly night here & there, but the days have been t-shirt warm.
Have no idea what water temps actually are right now but my hands tells me its dropping by the feel of the fish when being handled.
All the lakes are being drawn way down keeping the rivers moving a little more than I find convenient to deal with, so Ive been trying different spots out of my normal rotation. It seems as though if you can find 15-20' of water, some type of nearby structure (bridge, seawall, rock bar/pile, etc.), some light to moderate current (or wind) within a cast-length of shore, you stand a good chance to catch some walleyes.
Have been catching walleye every time out the last few weeks. The size hasnt always been consistent, but the #'s have. Most seem to be in the 13-17" range, with just a couple approaching the 20"slot. Catching em mostly on 1/8 & 1/4 hair jigs, & a few on plastic.

Water Vertebrate Lake Fisherman Watercourse

Water Sky Vertebrate Cloud Lake

Water Sky Light Lake Atmospheric phenomenon

Window Purple Pink Art paint Magenta

Food Ingredient Tableware Recipe Baked goods

Registered
What Joe & Matt said.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They bit good this a.m., about 1/3 of the way to fridays fish fry on sunday! Caught about a dozen eyes, mostly keeper-sized (15") with only a couple throwbacks. They were smacking big hair pretty well.
Watercourse Fisherman Fish Scaled reptile Plant

Water Fin Fisherman Fish Lake

Vertebrate Fisherman Fish Plant Fishing

Registered
Those are some nice looking jigs you are making and congrats on them walleye

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you, luckydawg!

Im guessing today was the last day in these parts that will be approaching 70 degrees this year, so you can imagine the elation I felt when the boss called & said we were going to delay our starting time because he was not feeling well. At this point I knew his ailment, the Irish flu, & was pretty confident that I had this day in the bag to try & catch the last sun rays & walleyes that wont need long-johns, jackets, or gloves for this year.
Arrived late morning at a bridge thats been consistent as of late. 1st cast saw an amped-up 17" walleye smack my 1/4 oz hair jig. Next cast, snagged on the bottom & busted off. After retying 1 of my last 2 purple/hot pink 1/4 jigs, my 3rd cast got sliced off by what Id bet was a 14" pike. Started digging through my plastics looking for anything I had lots of. Rigged up a 3" moxie ringle worm on a 3/16 head & started slowly swimming it along the rocky bottom. Got hammered 1/2 way back by a 15"er. Picked up a few cigars after that, and then a nice one about 18"ish.. as the bite tapered off I thought of another spot a few miles away where I wanted to try swimming the ringle worm. After getting there & taking a couple casts, snagged up & broke off. When looking in my pack to re-rig, it occured to me I left all my jigheads at my last spot, forgetting to toss the container back in the backpack. Oh well, back in the car to the previous spot. Brought a rod for the walk & bag of ringles. Sure enough, container was right where I left it. Rigged up a bait & made a cast, stuck a nice 16-17"er. There was a more noticeable current than when I left, previously, and it seemed to either bring in or turn on the fish. Caught a dozen or so between 12-18" in about 30 minutes, broke off on a snag, & decided to go home for lunch.
For a guy who almost never has a drink, sometimes I really love booze!
Water Vertebrate Fin Lake Marine biology

Water Sky Fin Outdoor recreation Fish

Water Sky Lake Body of water Fish

Hair Head Hand Hairstyle Eyebrow

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had all intentions of going straight home after a miserable 45 degree, cloudy, damp, blustery day of rolling around on the ground. On the drive home the sun poked out & I thought "dare I?".
Didnt get a strike for 10 minutes & was ready to call it quits. Had a loop in my spool that I wanted to remedy so I threw a long-bomb cast in an irrelevant direction just to clear it from the reel. Cleared the loop & popped the bait off the bottom to clear the rocks & reel it back. When I got tight to the bait I noticed a fish was there. A 15" eater! Threw to the same spot & caught a short 1. In short, got my 3 keepers +a couple more that swim this evening, and 5 or 6 short fish & a crappie....in about 20 minutes! Walleyes ran 13-16", the nicest was 18". Fish were up on a shallower flat (8-10'), as opposed to the deeper hole that I usually target at this spot. Fish fry-friday is now in the bag! Or, the fridge.
Vertebrate Organism Adaptation Terrestrial animal Fish

Water Vertebrate Fisherman Fish Recreational fishing

Food Seafood Fish Cuisine Organism

1 - 12 of 12 Posts