Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to The Glen today for a couple hours. I used the dozen or so minnows that I had left over from perch fishing yesterday. I did very well...not bad for like my second time there. That place has some nice fish. I never thought that there would be so many crappie here. I only wish that I would have had more minnows so I could catch more fish. I ran out. I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking...

And those were only some of the fish...

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Dude... some crappie from Lake Glenview! Nice! Did you run into your "friend"?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hey Phil,
nice job! Didn't get verbally assaulted again did you? I've never caught crappie at the Glen actually -- probably cuz i've never tried live bait there, but I have caught tons of catfish off of hotdogs (a few years back though). I won't be able to get out there for another week or so but when I do... I'll have some pictures of my own to post up too.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Nice pics as always, Phil. Did you catch any of the crappies by the submerged trees in the northeast area of the lake? If I had to guess where there might be crappie in Lake Glenview, that would have been my first pick.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was surprised about getting crappie, but the fish in that lake are very picky...I didn't get the hang of fishing there until my second time and I can usually easily figure out lakes. The crappie seemed to be everywhere I tried. If you want crappie and don't like using live bait, I'd stick with small crappie jigs, like that jig in a tube thing. When you jig, don't be afraid to fish close. Where I was fishing, the water was pretty shallow and I was just jigging vertically with my UL like a foot away from shore and did very well. I had the most sucess with large fatheads...the bigger the minnow, the more fish I would catch. Does anyone know of a baitshop that's close to The Glen? Next time I go, I'm going to try to try to target other species like catfish, using nightcrawlers. There was a guy there that came at about 7:30 and he set up next to me. It must have been under a minute before he had this huge bite. It ended up being this huge catfish. I swear that thing had to be a least 7 pounds. He wasn't even surprised. It was just a basic setup with a nightcrawler about 3 feet under a small float. I can't wait until I go again. I might be going out tomorrow and I'll post for sure if I do. By the way, that crazy guy wasn't there...that area didn't seem to hold much fish anyways and I stayed away from there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts