Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished from 7:15 to 8:30. Overcast, cool and winds out of the NNW, 5-10 mph. Walking across first bridge noticed some commotion in the south pool. Flung out my trusty ole senko right off the bridge and bingo, nice little bucketmouth.

Senko ripped so I put on another. Cast same area. As soon as it hit the water, fish on. I talking almost instantly the senko hit water. Tough little guy. Put up a good fight. Measured 16.5". Too heavy to pull up to the bridge so told the Mrs. to hold the rod and went down to unhook her.

Meena wanted to fish a little so she made her way down and I tossed out the senko again. Wham, she's on a nice fish. Fought it all the way to shore and popped off in the weeds. Meena missed another one on a short hit.

She handed me the rod and went home. She was very upset she couldn't take a picture with her first Glen bass. :cry:

I worked the south pool between the bridges and had many short hits after that but nothing otherwise. Short and sweet. The shift in warmer temps must have turned on the fish.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Very nice, Augy. Thanks for that report. It makes me want to drive 45 minute up to Glenview and fish that lake early tomorrow morning... I would totally do it if it weren't for stoopid work. Do you know how deep that south pool gets? I don't think there's a contour map out there yet, right?

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no maps yet. deepest I've marked on the depthfinder is 7 feet. but that thing ain't the most accurate of devices.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Man, I hit up the Glen too today around 12:30pm - 2:00pm, but I didn't have as much luck as you did. Pretty much the same conditions, and I fished from just south of the southern most pier all the way until the 2nd bridge using a dinger, and then later I tried a husky jerk and a creature jig.

Augy, it looks like your two fish could've ate mine...

Were ya usin green pumpkin' senkos as usual? 5 inch?

My little guy was off a 5" gray/white yum dinger... I want to upgrade to senkos, but I'm just a poor college student

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'm out of my grn pumkin. whirled black w/ blue and purple on purple. i threw out dingers as well but nothing on them last night. tried topwaters to no avail.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Nice fish guys !

think I`ll head out there right now ! lol.

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Nice fish, guys!

According to Robyn from the Glenview Natural Resources Dept. the deepest part of the lake is 19 feet. Not sure where exactly, should have more info soon.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Thanks for the report Augy. I was out there on Sunday afternoon and got the big skunk. It was very hot and windy that day.

·
Registered
383 Posts
It seems like everytime I have a hard day out on the water, I come to these webboards and see people catching fish in the same lakes that I go to, and it gets me all pumped up to go fish again.

After seeing your post Augy I decided to fish again so I went to Beck and then Oakton pond... got skunked real bad.
maybe i shouldda gone back to the Glen, oh well

·
Registered
472 Posts
The Glen opens at 5:00am and is supposed to close at 8:00pm but nobody enforces it. Jason maybe you could talk to your friend Robyn and get someone to enforce the catch and release rule at the Glen. I fish there almost every morning and have catught alot of guys keeping fish. I of curse point out the error of their ways. Sometimes I am met with alot of resistance and sometimes not. I have talked to the cops who hang around the parking lot on the north end but they can't be bothered. The biggest offenders are on the week-end. I have tried calling Robyn but I keep getting her voice mail.

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
I heard a great story a few weeks ago from a fellow fisherman (Dave?) at Lake Glenview who had seen a guy with a bucket of bass. He explained the catch and release policy to the man who quickly told fum to f**k off. So Dave walked away, then came back quietly a minute later and "accidentaly" kicked the guy's bucket of fish into the water.

When I talk to Robyn again, I will certainly ask about the enforcement of catch and release and your concerns.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
one good thing about this lake is there ARE law enforcement officers in the vincinity. the next time you see bucket boy, don't confront him. try and find one of them bike cops and point them in bucket boys direction. if none can be found, you can always call 611, non-emergency and you should be directed to glenview police dept. although i've never encountered bucket punks, it's worth doing to keep our fisheries from poaching.

unless of course your some 5th degree black belt in aikido or something, just go kick his bucket in the water. LOL. that's frickin awesome.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
btw, i hooked up with Aris (Culprit) and fished with him at the Glen for awhile. Always good to meet other WCF members in person. We discussed the possibility of getting together for an early AM run at Beck this Sat. So if any of yous are interested just come on by.

Note: My wife may burst at any moment so I'm 100% sure I'll be there if that doesn't happen and 100% sure I won't be if she does go into labor. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'll be there, at Beck early Sat AM. My in-laws live nearby on Potter Rd, so I'll probably go spend Friday evening there with the wife. What are your cars, so I know to look for you guys. I will either be in a pathfinder or yellow honda.

-Eric

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm in a white subaru forester and Aris is in a white lexus suv. hopefully the gate will be open at sunrise but not likely. those gates open so inconsistently. i'll be there at 5am gate open or not. i may even walk over there pre-dawn. i live only a few minutes walking distance so if anyone wants to get on the pre-dawn bite your more than welcome to park your car at my house and walk over with me.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
change that. i'm for sure going to walk over at 4am. let me know and i'll give you directions to my house.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts