Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a good enough boy lately when not fishing to get the ok to put a few hours in this past holiday weekend. Though I wanted to do something different off the beaten path, I settled on an easier/closer option of the Glen. Fished Sunday morning from 7:30-9:00. High skies, mostly calm = fishing mostly slow. Soft plastics only gave me a few bumps and 1 shorty of a bass. Switched to a skitter-pop and got a chunky 16"-17" fish on my 1st cast. After that it got bright & hot & I left.

What a difference a day makes! Fished Monday morning from 7-9. Similar conditions to previous day only calmer & hotter... go figure. 1st spot gave me 20 minutes of nothing, so I moved a bit and was tossing a jig & GULP! crawler (natural color) when I had a decent hit and hooked up with what I thought was a monster bass until a 30" pike surfaced! On 6 lb test I thought it'd be a short fight, but she took plenty of runs without breakage. Had to reach way down to grab her for a pic, but I managed to pinch her behind the neck but in the process I cracked my elbow on the corner of the pier, resulting in a nice cut but worse was a numb arm from a not-so-funny funny bone. Dropped the fish in the water and the line broke. Caught plenty of pike bigger than that before, but would've been my biggest & first "documented" Glen pike... Oh well. Re-tied but used a black & green flake color, not expecting much in that area after the comotion, but 1st cast hit up a 14" bass. Moved again and caught 5 fish in 10 casts. 2 on topwater, 3 on plastics, which were light bites but nice fish. All between 14"-17", self pics don't do 'em justice. Got hot and left. Here's a few of the pics:

Decided to end the weekend where I started it. Fished 6-8. Thought winds were supposed to be out of the S-Sw, but they were more E-SE, so my area was calm. Definitely slower than the morning, but still managed a few. Got a couple small 8-10" on topwater & plastics and lost a real nice 'eye on a jig. Finally landed a fat 16"-17" on a skitter pop before calling it quits.

Best overall outing(s) for me at The Glen since mid-late June. Good way to spend Labor Day weekend. See you on the water, and as always, good fishing.

Alex

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Way to go Al. I'm glad to see that the Glen continues to produce for you. I was there Saturday morning for a few hours but only managed to get the skunk. Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Thanks for the report Alex.

I still have never been to the Glen. :? When does it close, I definitely need to get over there before it's too late.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.