Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As if you could get citrus fruit in the Soviet Union...

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reminds me. Years ago I worked with a tech guy named Ivan. He was a Russian Jewish émigré.

One weekend my wife & I saw 'Moscow on the Hudson". The next Monday I saw Ivan & said, "Have you seen Moscow on the Hudson?"

He said, "Yes. This is a very funny movie."

I asked, "So when he's walking down the street in Moscow and sees the long line and asks what it's for and is told, 'It's either chicken or shoes', is it really that bad there?

Ivan said, "Oh no, it's much worse."

·
Registered
457 Posts
If it's a Lada you'd have to sign up for it 5 years in advance, and your local party committee would have to approve your petition.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ladas are still better than Trabants!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Rambler said:
Ladas are still better than Trabants!
Ugh, do you know that Lada's engine had to be rebuilt every 50k or so? With most moving parts needing replacement?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Would be neat to see the gears inside that reel.

I always thought the Niva would have been a fun toy to play around with off road, but wouldn't want to rely on one for long term transpo. I suppose you could get a Ural instead.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Grain said:
Ugh, do you know that Lada's engine had to be rebuilt every 50k or so? With most moving parts needing replacement?
Is that a problem? The East Germans called Trabants "spark plugs with roofs". :D

When PJ O'Rourke wrote for Car & Driver he for some inexplicabe reason took a cruise on the Volga. When the local Commies found out a famous American auo writer was on the river they stopped the boat and "invited" him to tour the local Lada factory.

For those who aren't gear heads, Ladas are Fiats built by Russians in a factory built for them by Fiat.

O'Rourke's comment after seeing the factory and out of Commie earshot was something to the effect that, "When the best thing you have to show are Fiats made by Russians you're in deep shit."

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Grain said:
Feels like a voice of a long term domestic car buyer.
I was being facetious. Ever have a Fiat? Same difference.

I have a Mazda & a Ford. The Mazda has 100k & the Ford has almost 70k. Both run like new.

When my wife & I lived on the north side there was a guy across the street with 2 Fiats. Every chance he got he told me that they were "the greatest cars in the world". I drove a Mercury Capri at the time - the German-built one. During the winter he'd take the batteries out of both Fiats every night & take them into his apartment to keep them warm. It was the only way they'd start in the AM. I'd just get in & fire it up. Never claimed the Capri was "the greatest car in the world" but it was clearly a shit-load better than a Fiat. And a hell of a lot of fun to drive.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In other words you know the Opel as crappy as it was is still better than a Lada.

But how do feel about Austin Marinas? :wink:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Rambler said:
But how do feel about Austin Marinas? :wink:
Borrowing from the concurrent thread, if there was a marina in Austin, may they'd be fishing there, not hunting.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Austin Marina was the favorite whipping boy of the guys on the original UK-based Top Gear. They routinely dropped grand pianos on them. Pretty funny.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts