Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out at about 6am headed to Pistakee to pick up my fishing partners for the day. I was hoping the past rains had cooled the water and with some decent current, we could pick up some nice fish. The water was in fact cooler with some areas as low as 73 degree's but the main lakes remain warm at 78 degree's. We fished Pistakee channels first thing and found only some small gills and a few bait stealing eye's and drum. This catfish and white bass was the best we could do from our first area.

Moving north we hit Mineola Bay and drifted with small jigs, crawlers and minnows but drum were the only active fish until we hit the north channels where we found many Blue Gill, and some small bass and catfish. :?

Moving North through Petite and into Marie fishing deeper water was also not very productive with this crappie, a 13 inch LMB and more small gills.

Walleye were just not active and only a couple of missed fish may have been 'eye's that stole the bait. Crawlers seemed to bring the most action throughout the day but changing jig colors and tails seemed to make no difference. We finally got into some nice white bass in the afternoon with some nice 11-13 incher hitting spinnerbaits, jigs/crawlers and slip bobbers. When they decide to eat, I think they will bite anything. :lol:

Walleye for the day??? At least it kept the skunk away but it came late in the day after my fishing crew were dropped off. :roll:

All fish except the crappie were taken in 6 foot or less along shorelines and seawalls with current. :wink:

So not a great day for the Spinner Boat but I post my outings good or bad hoping the information will help others. 8)

·
Administrator
5,370 Posts
Love the report, JD!

Pistakee is one of my favorites on the chain. Lots of opportunities there without as much of the traffic as Marie, Fox, etc.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree Jason, I grew up on and fished Pistakee through the 60's and 70's. Plenty of places to fish, even on the busy weekends with far less fishing pressure than the northern lakes. I also like fishing the cloudy water. 8)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.