Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out at 6am on Saturday launching on the north end. Water levels continues to rise and many launches are closed and/or under water. No wake is the rule right now which kept the lakes looking like a ghost town through out the day. Doubt if we saw 20 boats all day, most being fisherman or pontoons. Water temps have dropped since my last report and are generally in the mid 70's with good clarity. We started in Catherine with some nice fish caught within the first half hour. The catfish are a hot bite right now with well over twenty caught by the end of the day. Biggest was 23 1/2 inch and a few others were over 20 inches. The rest were good eater size from 15 -18 inches. :)

White Bass have also came alive with the currents that now exist. It made walleye fishing a bit tougher because we couldn't get our baits past these silver piranhas. There were times when you would hear popping and smacking sounds on the surface and see large areas boiling with whites. We caught well over 30 of them from shallow and deeper water with the biggest being 15 1/2 inches and most being in the 10 to 13 inch range. :)

Also got 8 Largemouth along the shorelines with this being the biggest at 20 inches. It hit a a jig crawler combo in 4 foot of water. :wink:

Being no wake, we took advantage of traveling the best we could dropping cranks and other small baits in the water but could only come up with more white bass. Unfortunately, we ended the day with no walleye. Only a few short bites and dropped bites but caught well over 60 fish. Catfish, Bass, White Bass, Crappie, Gill's and Drum gave us plenty of action for the day and most were a quality size.

I also took some pictures of the water levels and areas that some of you may recognize. Here's the "USS NeverFloat" as it was named years ago. It's almost ready to float.

The Sand Bar is struggling to remain above water but there are some trailers that may be in some trouble it the water continues to rise. :(

CJ Smiths appeared to be close with no activity and most property under water. :(

The house at the west side on the Fox/Petite Channel still has it's for sale signs up but I don;t think many offers are being taken right now.

The Rt 12 Bridge was boiling with current making it near impossible to fish under. There were boats before and after with some fish being caught. :wink:

Blarney's ??? Well it's not too often you see the island empty on a warm August weekend. The water appears to be about floor levels. No human activity was seen.

Here's the Rt 173 bridge which shows the water level. When we passed under it in the morning, my windshield cleared by about 3 inches. On the way back, the windshield was about to contact the bridge and we had to shift weight around in the boat to allow us to wiggle our way under with scraping. That would indicate the water level increase some where between 2-3 inches throughout the day. :shock:

As we idled around the chain, there were some yelling out to us the waterway was closed but it is not and still isn't at the time I'm writing this. Fox Waterway Agency still shows the Chain as No Wake. If anyone is thinking of heading out, you should check there site first. Here's a link. http://63.135.96.26/water_level/main.cfm

Those of you thinking about it?? Here's what you'll find. All state park ramps are closed as well as many of the local private ramps. The ones that are open are difficult to launch at with most piers under water. Bring your waders. The north river current is very strong and I would not recommend fishing it. Make sure your trolling motor batteries are fully charged as even my 24 volt system struggled at times keeping up with the current. Be careful at all bridges as the clearance is not good unless you have a canoe. Police boats are out and No Wake means NO WAKE !! There is some floating debris but not as much as I thought there would be and going slow takes most of that risk away. Expect a good bite, if your a catfish or White bass lover, you'll be in heaven. 8)

·
Registered
3 Posts
We did have a great day on the water. Not able to fish the river as current is too fast. But it was a blast seeing all the water without all the normal others. So quiet and serine. Felt like we were 800 miles north of here. :wink:

Rigging, Jigging and Trolling was a blast. For a moment under the bridge , I thought someone was popping popcorn as those White Bass were balistic.

All in all a Great Day to be on the Chain.

Thanks Again JD :wink:

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I just went back and looked at the pics again. Here I was complaining about my electricity being out for 4 days. It could definitely have been a lot worse. Those pictures give waterfront property a whole new meaning.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anywhere there is a steady current. The north river current is still too strong but look for narrow down areas and bridges. Slip bobbers with crawlers or minnows, jigs and spinner baits. Don't spend allot of time in one place, if there's no action move on to a different seawall or shoreline. Your gonna be idling around so it's a good time to drag some crank baits behind you. :wink:

Good Luck. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.