Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out this weekend with great weather and cooling water temps in high hopes of getting in to some good action but our results were a bit less than anticipated. Most of our fishing was done on the north river but we did manage to hit a couple of spots on Pistakee and Fox lakes. The panfish bite is still good with many white bass and some crappie caught on both days. Unfortunately, the walleye bite was a bit off with only 6 fish caught. The biggest was 16 inches. There is valid reports of some eye's caught including a 26 incher from the river but the spinner boat just couldn't break through.

We were able to get some nice fish for the fryer. :)

Crappie were a bit scattered but came in two's and three's through the day using jigs tipped with minnows and slip bobbers. At no time was the action fast and furious, just a few fish here and there.

The river was busier than I've ever seen it this time of year, especially on Sunday as I think people were trying to escape from the wind. Ultimately, it was a great weekend to be out on the water with clear skies and warm sun. 8)

The DNR was out again this weekend checking licences and live wells. It's the third time in three weeks that I've been checked. I applaud their efforts as there are simply too many people keeping illegal fish with some not even knowing what kind of fish it is. :?

Anyway another safe and enjoyable weekend on the water. Fish in the livewell is simply a bonus. :wink:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Nice job on the mix...

How big were the crappie? They almost look right up there size wise with the whitebass.

Ive been checked more by the DNR on Chain then anywhere else. They do a good job. Was in the boat in a channel once and guy pulls up in SUV showed us his badge told us to come over to the dock for a check.

NPIKE

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Biggest crappie was just over 11 inches. Due to the flooding a few weeks ago, much of the wood structure along the shorelines has changed. Many of the laydowns/snags have moved and others are gone completely. I lost a couple good crappie spots but also looks like I'll gain a few in the future too as there are some new snagged trees along some shorelines.

Thats whats kinda cool about river fishing, it constantly changes. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.