Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It will be interesting to see what happends with the DNR now that Blago is ousted. Quinn made some nice comments last night about our state parks and how they should be open for all to enjoy. Right now IL is in danger of losing its federal funding due to the fact that DNR funds have been being transferred outside the DNR and used elsewhere. I'm hoping things get put back where they should and Quinn actually appoints a director that has a background in the field. Its an interesting time, but for the first time in awhile, I at least have a little bit of optimism for the future of our DNR.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I have to agree with what you guys have said about the DNR. I think that our current governor is a much better representative of our state than Blago. Blago was more interested in helping the low income people that don't pay any income taxes than the actual tax paying citizens of our state. We are really fortunate for all of the natural resources that our state has and it will be nice to have someone in office that respects that.

With our current state of affairs in our state, I am confident that he will help matters but I am afraid that he will have to increase our state income tax to pay for the fixes. That will mean that he won't get re-elected in 2 years.

·
Registered
593 Posts
toothdoc said:
but I am afraid that he will have to increase our state income tax to pay for the fixes. That will mean that he won't get re-elected in 2 years.
BINGO!

I bet the parks will re-open, $ flow will improve to our resources.

BUT they will raise the tax, thats an easy fix.

He'll run on what he fixed and improved, and that lil thing of taxes will be overlooked.

If he works with democratic controlled Illinois house and senate,
to puff up the staff with jobs and contracts & "raised" taxes he'll get relected.

:!:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Thats good that Quinn is making positive statement about what he will do for the State Parks. I hope all goes well in putting the pieces back together.

Did anyone else notice that Blago used a little bit of the "Clay Davis" Defense? It didnt really seem like Rod had a chance though. Clay knew how to work it. It sure has been a funny few weeks in Illinois politicaly.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Everyone always raises tobacco taxes when more money is wanted.
I say raise alcohol taxes.
Maybe less drunks on the roads.
A 30 can case of crap Busch beer should cost $30, not $14.95.

20 percent of drinkers drink 80 percent of the alcohol.

Who cares if they drink less.

It would probably bring in enough money to spread some around to schools and cheaper health insurance as well as the IDNR.

No money, no open parks. It all depends on whether or not Blago was lying that there was no money.

We'll see I guess.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Ken G said:
A 30 can case of crap Busch beer should cost $30, not $14.95.
I never pay over $10 for a 30pack, and buy 2 or 3 at a time.
:wink:

I buy in bulk to lower my carbon footprint.

Then i burn all the aluminum cans in my firepit.

Hopefully i'll retain the freedom to burn under Pat Quinn!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Maybe it has to do with why deep quarry was closed at 7:30pm last night when its suppose to be open until 11:00pm...

Damn DNR!!!! :evil:

Kinda dissapointing when you go to meet someone there and they drive almost an hour to get there to find its closed... :roll:

I am glad Blago is out. Hopefully things should start going in the right direction with our money...

·
Registered
453 Posts
Here's a great idea! How about spending cuts! Why does the average Joe taxpayer have to feed this "bloated pig" we call the state of Illinois more money! Reel in this crazy government before we decide we need to stick it to the taxpayers.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Seebass said:
Here's a great idea! How about spending cuts! Why does the average Joe taxpayer have to feed this "bloated pig" we call the state of Illinois more money! Reel in this crazy government before we decide we need to stick it to the taxpayers.
Agreed, but our state and country are being run by the Democrats. Their philosophy is bigger government, not smaller. One thing that they could do is raise the fees for our fishing licenses. They are a bargain at the current fees, but come on. If they can put it back into the parks and stuff, I would gladly pay for that.

·
Registered
825 Posts
toothdoc said:
Agreed, but our state and country are being run by the Democrats. Their philosophy is bigger government, not smaller. One thing that they could do is raise the fees for our fishing licenses. They are a bargain at the current fees, but come on. If they can put it back into the parks and stuff, I would gladly pay for that.
I agree. I would be willing to pay double for my license IF I knew that all the money was going back into our resources. Plus, they could create park user vehicle stickers like WI and MI do to raise more money. And there's gotta be a way to charge all the out-of-state deer hunters who lease land just for the deer season. Obviously, it ALL has to go back to our resources but it can easily be done.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Yeah, but the surrounding states like Wisconsin and Michigan that have much better resources at least charge a park entrance fee to support the parks system. Even with that, the Wisconsin state parks are hurting for money. Would it kill our state to have an entrance fee for use of the parks? Secondly, Wisconsin licenses are more expensive than ours.

Let's face it. Our economy sucks right now. Everybody is looking for more revenue but not wanting to give anything up. I just feel that instead of taxing everyone in Illinois by raising our state income tax, a use tax for parks and licenses would be a better way as long as those fees went toward something that we people that enjoy the outdoors could benefit from.

Our new governor has inherited a mess after our last two governors fiascoes. I think that cutting costs would make the most sense, but that probably isn't going to happen from a bunch of Democrats. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Agreed, but our state and country are being run by the Democrats. Their philosophy is bigger government, not smaller.
Go back through history and look at when the Republicans controlled House, Senate, Presidency. They have never reduced government. Reagan, the smaller government godfather, came close to tripling it's size. As well as being the most corrupt administration since Ulysses Grant. That comes from a Tribune editorial in I believe 1985.

Same has happened at the state level.

The only thing I get for it that effects the way I use the resources is a chain across the opening to a preserve at sundown and MAYBE if I'm lucky they'll be back at sun-up to take it back down. Ususally it's closer to 8a.m. though.
Do like I do, park outside the gate and go in anyway. A little walk won't kill you. They can shut down all the parks and put chains up on all of them, but they can't sell them off. I'll always find a way in, don't care what I have to do. Never mined a long walk, I know few others will do it.

I agree about the trout stocking. Especially in places like Rock Creek on the Kankakee. That would be called introducing invasive non-native species. I would also like to see all non-native fish stocking of Lake Michigan stopped. Would probably greatly increase the fishing for smallies and walleye.

I would gladly pay $20 for a fishing license. I already pay for the combined fishing/hunting license.

It's a bargain for all that you get.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Cranked said:
Trout stocking. That has got to be the biggest waste in the IDNR's budget EVER! Exactly what is the point? If you want trout go to Lake Michigan where they naturally reproduce and thrive and it's in our backyard.
The good thing about the trout stocking is many families get together to take their young children out for some fun at the local forest preserves.. you never know, that young kid can get hooked like most of us did and enjoy the life long sport and addiction of fishing. That's the plus size. I would rather see our money going to something of a good cause like the trout stockings to get more kids into fishing than going into other things.

Fish will always be here and so will bucketheads. If it's a big deal, then kick there bucket over into the water next time out, its that easy! :mrgreen:

This spring I get to take my neices trout fishing, I enjoy taking them bluegill fishing and can not wait to see the smile on there faces and the words that come out of there mouth when they catch a trout. It's a good thing no matter how you put it ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Start charging admission at the parks and I'll bet the buckethead problem will be solved. Also, take some of the money the state is pouring into programs trying to reduce the number of fat kids and fix the outdoor attractions. Two birds with one stone: The kids will want to be outside if there's something to do.

·
Registered
593 Posts
BigJim said:
Start charging admission at the parks and I'll bet the buckethead problem will be solved.
Have a Illinois State Park sticker like Wisconsin.

Will it solve the problem?
Maybe-maybe not but we'll get $ from fines for them just showing up.

Pay $20 at the gate?
No way.
Hopefully they drive away.

Out of state deer tags are pricey, but why not soak them for the $.
They come in just for our deer.
Thats an easy one.
But it needs to be both gun and archery.
:D

Lets make a big list and send it to Gov. Quinn!
:D

·
Registered
825 Posts
1) Cranked- What do you really expect for $13? I agree that they need to use the license money for its intended use but really $13 per guy doesn't go that far. And for as much as you fish in IL waters, you only pay $13 more than any other IL resident. Sounds like you are getting a pretty good deal to me. I'd pay a lot more for that right and I'd have no problem paying more if it went to the right places. I'm happy that I can launch at DCA for free. It costs $15 to launch on Calumet River.
2) And I don't know what places you guys are specifically talking about but aren't the Forest Preserve and DNR different agencies? I know that the guy that opens the gate at Wolf Lake is not DNR or Cook County.
3) The guys that are leasing up southern IL during the gun season are paying premium prices. Out-of-state groups are paying hundreds to thousands to lease land to hunt during the 3-day November season. I'm sure they'll pay more in licenses.
4) MI and WI charge a vehicle sticker fee in their parks of $20+ a year for non-residents and $10+ for residents (I'm not sure the exact amount). This would be an easy way to raise money.
5) The 1st time I went to Mill Creek Lake, I was PO'ed that the launch fee was $16 a day. After I went there I saw how incredible the launch, parking lot, out-houses, and campground were. The lake was great too. I can see that they put money into the facility and it was a lot easier to stomach. Actually, I think I am going to spend the $80 for a yearly launch fee this year.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.