Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

They're here!

Already in the lower DesPlaines River region.

http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/specimen ... nID=238509

They will hit my area that's for sure... Time will only tell..... Now if they are capable of jumping over the Hoffman Dam in Riverside which is about 6-7ft high, then you guys up north will have some issues.

Now why exactly does IL DNR preach on dam removal in some instances???? :lol: In cases like this, they can be beneficial.

Some other interesting links:

http://www.fws.gov/arsnew/regmap.cfm?arskey=9371

http://www.state.gov/g/oes/rls/prsrl/press/15389.htm

http://www.peoplelandandwater.gov/fws/f ... ldlife.cfm

http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=15554

·
Registered
972 Posts
I always wondered how long until they reached up north. I'm sure it's sooner than we think. When the rivers flood it won't be hard for these guys to fly up almost any dam! This will give the bucket heads something new to eat and I've heard they're pretty good!

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
553 Posts
Hey Andrew, in fact I was wondering how to target these things? :?: I couldn't find anything on the web about these fish, about catching them. I've seen them lying on the shores of the Illinois River, and man they are huge. If you have any tips I would appreciate it. Thanks. :eek: :? :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Snag or by net.
Guys have caught them by accident jigging.

They aren't chasing baits.

They are filter feeders, swimming or just cruising with their mouths open.

I know a guy who has caught them above 3 rivers in Chanahon.
It was a Big dude over 5 pounds, not a little guy either..

Kankakee, Canal, Desplaines, and Cal sag is a short trip to the lake.

Closer they get to the confluence is bad news...
They are coming guys..

:evil:

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aww hell, man.... This isn't bass fishing, nor anything technical....

Get some fishing buddies who have waders or boats, buy yourself a large cast net, and go get 'em!

You ever give bow fishing a try?

I've never done it before, was supposed to go once this year for Commons with a buddy on my local backyard river (salt creek), but never went. It's done a lot at night and people have a smashin' time doing it.

Try snagging too. Don't know if it's legal on IL river or not, but since these things are everywhere, I think it would be acceptable by now.

Although they do feed off of plankton on or a few feet from the surface, I'm sure a few tackle companies will begin manufacturing plankton style topwater surface baits. Might be hard to do, but seems like it can be a possibility.... :lol:

The only thing I wouldn't do is to throw sticks of dynamite, like what these people in California did to eradicate Northern Pike from a prime trout lake... By doing that, the most they've killed were like 3 fish.... :lol: :lol: Idiots.
http://fishing-headquarters.com/fishcast/?cat=5&paged=2

I think the best way to control these fish and to best utilize the unwanted resource is to send as many commercial netting crews and fisherman to the IL river. With each catch and net job, we can either turn the unwanted fish into cat or animal feed, and any leftovers we can send back over to countries in Asia.... If commercial fishermen do this and sell to Asia (china, etc) which is where these fish originate from, they could get some good profits I think. Since we'll never have any regulations for these fish here, I could see something like this happening if Illinois and the states bordering the Mississippi River watershed give it some good thought. Commercial fisherman have to get bored with the great lakes fishing sooner or later.... With its huge-ass population and good economy, China has the money to spend for imported fish anyways.....

·
Registered
593 Posts
Below Starved Rock, Comercial guys are netting them right now.
Literally filling boats until they tip over.

I have bow fished for them, its a trip.

And if smoked, the meat is pretty good.
Remember, they are not typical carp eating anything as a meal.

Too bad the stigma carries them away as a food source.

Also, since they have a high calcium content, they can't be used as animal feed.

The excess calcium will cause tumors..
:(

Net them, and use as alternative sources..

·
Registered
593 Posts
Bad side for the comercial guys is they get ~ 10-15 cents a pound..

They catch a lot, but its a huge labor margin to make cash..

I've seen Illinois DNR video of shockings.
Literally thousands in a small area.

In a big stretch there are millions.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Andrew_R said:
They will hit my area that's for sure... Time will only tell..... Now if they are capable of jumping over the Hoffman Dam in Riverside which is about 6-7ft high, then you guys up north will have some issues.
When originally posting this, I spaced out and just realized my backyard river is the largest trib of the DesPlaines River! Looks like I'll be F'ed too. . . . Unless these Carp are poor at navigating and migrating through large stretches of shallow water. :x

I gotta let my people at the Salt Creek Watershed Network know about this possibility. . . . . . . All their good work over the years will end up going to waste.

Does anybody also know if there is a dam on the DuPage River near Cannahon or wherever it dumps into the DesPlaines?

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
There's a tall dam at Channahon that would never be cleared by the Asian Carp. The way that it's built, the town of Channahon would have to be under 15 ft of water before there was an alarming affect on the dam.

Haven't you chased the smallies down that way? There are some decent stretches of Dupage river for smallmouth and largemouth just above the dam and a bit further north. Ya gotta check it out next season.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.