Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.sealyoutdoors.com/paybacks_sr.htm

2nd time I'm doing it :D

Last time was a humbling experience. Lake levels were down bad that year(they're at least 4ft higher today). It was post spawn and the first day about 3 hours into it a cold front moved in. It rained half the day, dropped temps 10 degrees and screwed everything up. My buddy whose boat I fish out of was on the board for big fish of the hour and lost out and got knocked down to 7th-8th in the last 5 minutes for that hour on the last day. Together we only ended up boating maybe 35-40 fish all weekend, which for Rayburn sucks. The only saving grace was the fact it sucked for everyone. The big fish that won it all was the smallest one ever in the tournament. You can only fish from 6am-3pm each day. Getting the boat in the water on time you had to get up at 3am and start loading and making your way to the launch to get into the line down there. The line at the launch we picked to go had 45 minute/1 hour wait each day. We heard stories at the local restaurants of guys that had to wait almost 2 hours and no one was catching squat :( We were actually doing ok numbers wise but the size wasn't there. I was using big stuff and catching crazy 1lbers on worms & lizards as big as them. You can listen on the radio to a certain local station that broadcasts from the weigh in booth. They run it kind of like play-by-play in football. It's cool because you can listen to the radio on the boat and know what the biggest fish of the hour so far is. So, say you have a 8lber in the tank. That will win you one of the top hourly prizes for most hours. But if you bring it in to weigh at the same time the guy who is going to win the tournament brings in his 12lber you wouldn't win the same amount as if you brought it in to be weighed a different hour. Anyway I hope this time I can come away with a few more cool pics and the memories that go with them!

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Cold air and warm water made for some cool fog

I had to leave the shutter open too long maybe but still kinda cool pic.

This was the story, nice fish but we needed bigger to win.

Hourly Big Board 8)

The spoils :D

1st place and some cash to go with it :shock:

2nd place. I was trying to figure out how I was going to tell my chevy buddies why I was driving a dodge :p

They gave away something like 30 boats in all. :D

The cool thing about Rayburn is you can find every variety of fish holding structure on the planet, except for maybe the garbage cans hoodlums throw in the water along lake michigans shore. Here is some nice deep rocky stuff around an island. Lots of shelves with baitfish hanging out on the ledges 20ft down.

The cypress swamps. Goes from 5ft deep to 25ft just outside of it.

Some nice rocky inlets with fallen/sunken timber, nice rocky points jutting out in the middle in a few places. God seriously couldn't have designed a better bass habitat.

The catch & release boat. I know tournaments have a high mortality rate. These fish don't get released back to the locations they're taken from which only increases mortality. The fact they have this set up at all and are making the effort to minimize the impact was heart-warming.

The road leaving the final weigh in over a mile away here.....

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BassCaster said:
Good Luck Jnap...man that looks fun :D
Ya know I'm not gonna lie, last time I kind of lost sight of that until about the last day. At the end of the first day I was all pissed cuz we weren't getting on anything of size. 2nd day same thing started happening and I let my frustration take me off my game. I started getting hung up on crap I wouldn't normally, was tossin errant casts into tree's all kinds of crazy stuff that I don't normally do. I can stand in a river in 4ft of water and drop a cast in a bucket normally.

This time, don't get me wrong I want to win badly, but I am going to have fun with my buddy and that is it. If we catch some big fish and win heck yeah awesome stuff, if not I'll try again in a couple more years when I can afford it again!!! I have to be thankful for what I already have though. I have a kick ass friend who I am going camping & fishing with on Sam Rayburn, that right there is good enough in itself. :D

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Good Luck out there Jnap. Hope you do well. If you don't, atleast you will have a great time! :D

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
jnapodano said:
Lip_Yanker said:
Wish I was at that level to compete. Good luck out there!
It's an amateur only event so anyone with a boat can do it :)
You got dat right. It is a tough decision. But you never know what can happen!!!!

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Last year they had it on espn. Not sure with the economy being what it is that they will be there this year too but probably will so here is the link. http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/tour ... ss_rayburn

I would think that if they have it on there again this year it will be in the same section if not on the same webpage. I will call J. Norris if we're bringing in a fish to weigh and send him a pic. Conditions kinda suck, fish are mostly post spawn & water is stained from high winds. I guess the wind direction has increased the fetch and made it even worse. They haven't really had any stable weather patterns in 2-3 weeks so the fish will be more scattered as far as where they are coming off the spawn. It'll be mostly males that will be on the beds with a few late females still moving in. Our plan for pre-fishing is to find the males and then locate the deeper water nearby and figured out where the tired ladies are, especially if we see a big male. Not sure if we are even gonna make it to the upper 3rd of the lake all week, up there it is more timber & rocky. We're gonna concentrate on Caney Creek, Farmers Flats, Needmore & Five Fingers area's. Friends of friends have said that is most consistent area's for fish over 10lbs(10+ is the benchmark for bringing home the $$$ in this tourney, if you get one you know you will place somewhere near top).

Coolest thing is right when I get back the bass around here should be turning on good as well :D

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Spawn is already over down south in TX. If I get some money to cover costs in this one I will be going to the Lake Fork Event as well. Once I get a boat I want to do some local events. I already have a couple guys who want to partner up for bass fishing tournaments on Lake Mich. I know B.A.S.S has some events on Lake Mich and I think there are other groups as well so when the opportunity presents itself that is my next plan of action.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.