Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started reminicing about this stupid little pond that I used to fish back when I was in my late teens/early 20's. It's a NOTHING pond really. The only thing we ever caught was NICE crappie, just a few feet from shore. Well, I'm married now and have 3 kids and they are all interested in fishing as of late. I'm not a skilled fisherman by any means, so what I can catch probably has very little to do with what's actually IN the water! Haha. Anyway, we swung by there today and it's been so long since I was there I almost forgot how to get to it....and the area around it has changed a lot too. I had NEVER seen anyone else fish there before. When we walked up, low and behold there was a guy fishing! I asked him if he fished it often and he said, "No, this if my first time". I told him I hadn't fished it in over 20 years but it used to have good crappie in it. I casted a couple of spinnerbaits (after getting ALL of the kids set up with minnows on bobbers) and found out REAL fast that the little pond is FULL of weeds! I eventually switched over to the minnow/bobber combination too. Due to the weeds and having to help the kids almost constantly, I didn't get too much fishing in myself. My two youngest caught a few decent bluegills and my oldest caught 2 bass. One about a pound or so, and then this guy. I'm curious now just how big of a bass this little pond can support! It was kind of cool having my kids fish the same stupid little pond that I used to fish! My oldest son (13) is still talking about how it was "a nice fish".

Warner

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
toothdoc said:
That's a nice fat bass you son caught there. 8)
Thanks. He's very proud of it. He got skunked when we went to Busse and was almost done with fishing (you know how patient kids are!) but decided to go with us today anyway. Now he's hooked again for sure! The pond is SO full of weeds....I'm going to have to figure out how to fish something that's TRULY weedless in there. I'm wondering now how big the bass GET in there. I think it has almost zero fishing pressure....

Warner

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
vince21494 said:
Nice bass!!! also tell your son not to worry if he gets skunked busse is a tough lake to fish. 8)
Yep. The only thing you're SURE to catch there (Busse) right now is a few ticks. Hehe. They are everywhere! We sprayed our shoes and socks with DEET based spray, and all wore hats of some sort....again, sprayed. Didn't have any dig in.....apparently they aren't really biting, either! Haha! I can hardly wait to get back and fish that little pond again.....probably go with bigger minnows, plastic (and real) worms, and possibly something topwater and/or weedless....there are TONS of weeds. You can see them on the surface of the water in spots far out....but I have a feeling there are some nice bass in there. I'd hate to think that my son caught the biggest one in there! Hehe...

Warner

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went last night after work with the kids.....from 5:30 - 8:00 got totally skunked. As we were leaving the kids found a catalpa worm nest and I told them that those make good bait. Of course my 13 year old had to disagree so I told him to try one on a hook with no weight and let it sink slowly. Of course we started catching a bunch of smaller bluegill. I did see one small bass (10" or so) that seemed to be guarding a nest perhaps - it stayed in one spot the whole day. I threw some things out there and it did look and follow, and even nudged my weedless topwater frog once, but that's as far as it went. Like I said in another post, I don't consider myself a good fisherman, but I want to learn! I have a 14' jon boat that I just bought used that I'd LOVE to put into this little pond, just to get around on it and see how deep it is and be able to fish the weeds better. I have a depth/fish finder on it that worked in my driveway, but not once I got on the water...go figure! I opened it up while I was troubleshooting it and DID get 13 volts to the circuit board, so I have no idea why it didn't work. I took the time to put new ends on (crimped and soldered) all the wires (from the battery to the posts on the boat, and to everything that attaches to that) and when I plugged it in again it worked! We'll see what happens when I get it on the water again. The boat would have to be either carried or dragged a GOOD distance to get it into THIS pond though....NOT an easy task for sure! A friend of mine gave me an old Clinton 7.5 HP outboard that I got running - the smoky old thing at least will move my boat better than the 30lb thrust trolling motor that came with it. Hehe. I may be looking for a partner to come and fish this little pond with me who can teach me (and the kids) a little about fishing it better. I feel certain that there are some decent fish in it....I can't believe my son caught the best bass in the water there! And I'm wondering what the heck happened to the good crappies that we caught all those years ago? There were in the 1lb range. Hmmm....

Warner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.