Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Sinking vessel, 15 fishing lines; do you cut?

• Hell yes! (as long as it is the best or only option)

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • Na, I don't want to lose $300 in gear.

Votes: 1 8.3%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out on Lake Michigan on Saturday, trolling from North Point to Waukegan when there was a faint distress call on the radio. The only transmission the boat was able to get out was "we're sinking, we're sinking!". Other boaters were on the radio asking for a location to no avail. One charter boat was within sight of the sinking boat, but said they didn't think they could make it because they had "15 lines in the water". About this time the Coast Guard was on the radio asking for the location to which the nearby charter replied with the location. The Coast Guard asked them if they could assist...the answer: "I don't know if we can make it, we have 15 lines in the water." :shock: :shock: :shock:

Maybe they didn't know how to use a knife????

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should add that the three fishermen on the boat were rescued by some nearby Chi Town Anglers, but there was a canine casualty.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
koolaid2313 said:
distress call on the radio. The only transmission the boat was able to get out was "we're sinking, we're sinking!".
there were multiple mayday calls made by this boater that day. that statement alone is wrong karen.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There were four people on our boat, and we scanned the entire area for the sinking ship, but never caught sight of it. I just wanted to know if I should be as angry as I am with that charter boat. I happened to know two of the people on the boat that went down. :evil: One of them used a waterproof cell phone to call 911 after they were all in the water.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Karen get ur stuff straight. Don't tell lies cause u wanna act like u know all there is to know about it cause U DONT. I knew about this right when it happened cause I got a phone call from someone who was out trolling and catching fish while u were catching nothing

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't get what you are talking about. I heard the call on the radio, and was with three other people that heard the same thing. I know what the charter boat said, but if there was anything before that we may well have missed it. That doesn't change the outcome. The boat sank, three people were rescued, and one dog was lost. If you heard something else on the radio that we missed, please share.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Whoa! I know they went down, I know they were rescued right away by the "Chilly Willy" boat. I wasn't out there, I don't know what was going on. I do hear that they got out 3 or 4 maydays before the water got to their electronics. The captain went down to rescue the dog but couldn't get a hold of the collar, he swam out a window.

I think that if someone was close and it came down to it, anyone would cut lines and get over there.

I'm just happy to hear that everyone was ok, unfortunately that doesn't include the dog, but someone getting there faster wouldn't have saved her either.

I'm pretty sure anyone with a conscious, would cut those lines in a heartbeat, I'm sure they would get through them with teeth if they had no knife, or if all else failed, they would just drag everything behind them over there a.s.a.p.

Lets not get into a fight over this!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't think anyone would fight over this. I heard the one call, and quite possibly missed ones before it. I did hear one charter repeat on several occasions that they didn't think they could make it because they had 15 lines in the water. I have only been out in the big lake two times, and was wondering why anyone would do such a thing....

Not sure why anyone would want to make trouble about it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have only been on out on that lake two times, and I was hoping that someone would give me some real information. I know that there was a lot going on in the boat that I was in when we heard the call for help and admittedly may have missed prior calls. That does not change what that charter captain said though. I would just like to know why they didn't cut the lines. If they were farther away than other boats maybe? If they were just jerks?

If you have useful information or answers please reply.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Funny thing - I heard what was said on the radio as well as three other people on the boat.

Jason - the Captain of the ship that went down - posted that he got one mayday call out before handing out life vests.

Really, anyone with something useful to say that does not have a personal vendetta would be great.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is refreshing to know that someone else heard the charter captain and posted as much on another site. Maybe you didn't hear it, but it most certainly was said.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Its amazing how you two bone heads are going back in forth were either of you guys there if she was there she was there I say cut the lines and save some one personally for a guy who cant swim I would want some one to help

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Charter boat Captains are like brothers...and I was lucky to hear some chatter on the radio on my trip in the Keys a few weeks ago.....they would cut the dam lines in a second and "Race" to help as fast as they could if 'any' boat was in trouble.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.