Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kind of committed myself last year to stepping outside of my comfort zone...getting back to multi species fishing in the numerous ponds and lakes in our area and ignoring the seductive siren's call of the river.

So far (this year) I have to admit complete and total failure.....

All fish were coaxed out of faster moving areas of current flowing over drop offs.
Larger fish seemed to be at the head of the drop (I'm guessing cuz they can be) while tail ends of the drop and into the riffles seemed to hold smaller fish.

By *small* I mean 15 to 16 inch range...NO fish were targeted in the slack water areas where the smaller males have most likely been guarding nests.
My personal theory is that by zeroing in on these areas of higher velocity water I am not only leaving the spawning fish alone to do their thing but also specifically singling out actively feeding fish...I should probably add that I do not walk through those slack water spawning areas either.

Crappy pixelated cell phone pic...thank TomFisherman for that!=)

TomFisherman

You know that fish is way too pretty not to get pimped! (last pic)

Cranks have been the clear winner these past few weeks with last year's find of the Mann's 1- earning top honors for both quality of fish as well as quantity.

Quite possibly the best damn lure I've ever found in the river...Thanks to whoever lost it!

Rapala's X-Rap Shad has been fantastic for digging into the bottom in those slightly deeper 3ft+ runs when fish are holding tight to the bottom.

Honorable mention for this Value priced River2Sea ($5 at Lee's!!!)

And finally when the fish just seem to be on a tough bite and easily spooked by large rattling vibrating lures...the Megabait spoon and the trusty Jig (1/8th oz) and Grub have been able to scratch a few out.

Get out there and get ye some=)

GoodFishin'

Darth

Obligatory fish pimp...

·
Registered
369 Posts
i gotta get myself a pair of waders and hit up the rivers. is the kankakee producing yet or are you strictly a fox river man.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Awesome Report!!

I had a feeling when I saw you guys a couple weeks ago that the smallies would be turning on shortly and it looks like they did! Figures I haven't been out since then :( Hoping to take a half day friday and get in on some of that action..

Did mann's discontinue that color pattern?? Looked around a little recently and haven't been able to find it.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Ha couldn't stay away from the river....I should have known. Those are some fat bass, nice way to overcome what most see as a bloated river lately. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Those smallies are pretty, the last one is like a perch? Baby minus ?- I had one thta was my fave and it ran 6 to 12 inches under. Ive bought like 6 or more others since I lost that one and they all seem to run more like a baby wake, just under surface. is that normal for baby minus one?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Great post d dub I too love the photos of baits you're using. Haven't been able to find that crystal glow color in the couple stores I hit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
you sure all those from the fox?????????
just playing :lol: you are the king of the river! i used to read your stuff on clf all the time man how come you dont post there no more?
Think i saw you in Geneva early this year you had a backpack and a extra rod tucked in your waders right?

Anyway first post yay me!! hope to see you out there Id be happy to catch one that size this year :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow nice pictures and glad to see this river holds some pretty fish. The Mann's Baby 1- has been my smallmouth killer. Every other year I head up to Northern Ontario and the guides are amazed at what I can pull up with those lures. I usually take 6-12 every year I go and wind up giving a few to the better guides. My go to color is the Blue Shad or the Green Shad Chartreuse. Grey Ghost and the Pearl/Black Back have worked well for me as well. Just as the name implies they run 1ft or less hence the 1-. I have a Brown Crawfish that one day I'm going to hit the river with and see how it does. Sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread about the Baby 1- it's just a favorite of mine. Hope you don't mind a tag along of what I caught with that wonderful bait my last trip to Eagle Lake, Ontario.

Both of these came off the Blue Shad bait and were back to back casts to the same spot. This was mid June and as you can see full of rain. They were close to identical measuring 20.5" with one weighing 5.25 lb the other was an ounce under 5lb.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.