Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

This last Sunday I had a pretty brutal outing with some friends of mine. Usually Steve and I fish from kayaks but this time a friend from work came along so I borrowed a buddys canoe for an all day outing at some private spots of ours. They are a small private lake that runs adjacent to a river and a very secluded large farm pond. I'm usually VERY prepared for my fishing trips, I spend the night before checking my gear, organizing, and putting together a gameplan for the following day. Well this time I made 2 little mistakes that ended up hurting pretty bad.
Before I walked out the door I remembered my net was still in my kayak, I decided I wouldn't need it because I would be lipping bass all day. Then later while picking up the canoe I left the anchor sitting outside my car. So I'm down a net and an anchor whats the worst that could happen right? We got out on the water pretty early and the conditions were pretty bad. A cold front had come throught he previous night and the water was muddy along with the wind is throwing us around, It was NASTY! Since we had 2 people in the canoe we took turns paddling while the other would cast. Unfortunately my friend was not to experienced at paddling and we got thrown off course and into our spots quite a few time. This made fishing pretty hard but we managed to land a few bass in the following hours including a nice 3lber. Then I got snagged on some timber. I attempted to unsnag myself while my buddy paddled and just as I put my rod underwater a giant gust of wind blew the canoe over it and it snapped. The rod was a St. Croix premier and probably my favorite so that that hurt quite a bit. Man if I would have just brought the anchor I could have probably avoided that I kept thinking. We kept on fishing and eventually made our way back to a corner where the river feeds into the main body of water through some underground tubes. This is always a hotspot so I decided to bounce a jig along the bottem. After a few bounces I felt a strong tap and set the hook. After a good fight to my amazement a 8-10lb walleye rises up from the bottom. I was in shock. Walleye were SUPER rare in this area. I didn't have my net otherwise I would have immediately netted him, Instead I tried moving him into position to get a hold of him. Right as I was about to grab him he shook and his teeth cut my line. I watched him slowly sink back down into the muddy water... Ouch.. that would have been my first Walleye and a good one at that. Luckily my jig was in the corner of his mouth so I'm sure he will be fine. We kept fishing and caught a few more fish but I kept thinking of the loss of my rod and walleye.
Overall it was fun to get out on the water and fish with a new friend, but it could have been sooo much better. I learned my lesson and will make my list and check it twice in the future. This post was probably to vent more than anything so thanks for listening.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Ben,
It happens. Glad you caught some nice fish though. The good news is that you probably won't make the mistake again :D . I know from personal experience that it is tough when you start switching boats and you have multiple tackle bags. I have my largemouth gear and my smallies bag and some things go between them. Then throw in fishing in my boat then fishing a tournament in someone else's boat. I know how it happens.

By the way, I broke a Premier last summer and Croix allowed me to upgrade to an Avid for a little over $100. It is not great but it was a $50 savings. Good fishing.

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
Sorry for both your losses. Anyone that fishes long enough usually ends up having a brutal fishing tale to tell. I usually average at least 2 heartbreaks a year myself. This year so far it was a huge lost blue cat at Lasalle. I have run the scenerio through my head a hundred times, so hopefully the same mistake that lost me that fish will not happen again in the future. I doubt you will repeat your mistake, but there are always new ones to make and learn from as well (like my deep lake fish stringer :roll: ) :p

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm a pretty optimistic guy so I'm not letting it get to me that bad. Cranked, thanks for the advice I'll definately see what they can do for me. Unfortunately I had bought it used off craigslist and snapped it in the middle. Maybe I'll get lucky. Thanks again to all and be on the lookout for a good report in the future because I'm coming back with a vengeance :twisted: I also need to take my old man fishing sometime.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Yep I've had a couple Premiers snap on me....not happy about that. In addition, according to their website, you have to pay $20 plus shipping costs to replace a WARRANTIED rod. What the hell is that?? I wouldn't be sending it in if the pos didn't break in the first place. The times the rod broke were moments that didn't include an overly aggressive amount of pressure uggghhh.

The good news is that if the second half of the rod breaks you can get a replacement for $30 and they'll send it to you w/o shipping costs incurred. JB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.