Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I'm looking to upgrade my trolling moter in the spring maybe a black Friday sale long shot but who knows
Anyway what I'm looking for 12V 55 lbs
Bow mount Spot Lock in spring probably looking to spend $1500 tops if you have and can recommend or if you have one you don't like let me know so I don't buy a POS that I won't be happy with thanks for suggesting

·
Registered
899 Posts
Havent looked a lot lately, but, I dont recall seeing a motor that small (12V) with the gps features. To get those ypu may have to bump up to a 24V/80lb-ish sized motor. The going rate seems to start just under 3 grand, at least the last time I looked.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok that might just be the ticket why do you suggest to get the longest shaft
It comes in a 45" or 54" I do have a Deep V has a 45" shaft on it now why go longer

·
Registered
688 Posts
Ok that might just be the ticket why do you suggest to get the longest shaft
It comes in a 45" or 54" I do have a Deep V has a 45" shaft on it now why go longer
I guess it depends on how deep your v hull is and what type of water you fish. you dont want the prop coming out of the water in waves. I have the 54 on my Lund 1650. the bigger Lunds people are running 60+

·
Registered
899 Posts
they definitely make 12v motors with GPS and have for probably 10 years. I'd suggest a Minn Kota Terrova in that price range. Make sure you get the longest shaft if you have a deep V.
minn kota power drive v2 and motor guide xi3 are other options with GPS but you lose the foot pedal. motor guide xi5 has the pedal and remote.
Ya, Ive since looked at the minnkota site ( probably shoulda did that before replying in the 1st place) & see they have I-pilot on the regular power drives now, too. Having owned 2 powerdrive MK's in the past, dont think Id get a 3rd, though. I sort of grew to hate the electric-steer & have a pile of non-working footpads, which is why I spaced on the existence of the terrova. Im definitely trying the ultrex (or garmin force or lowrance ghost) next time around
For those of you who have used both would I miss it ??
Ive used both and found I much prefer the foot pedal when Im fishing, & much prefer the FOB when taking others fishing. Personally, Id want both options

·
Registered
688 Posts
I upgraded my 12v 55lb powerdrive v2 to ipilot back in 2013. The next year I bought a new boat with a 24v 80lb terrova with ipilot (highly recommend 24v if you can swing it, even on a small boat). I mostly use the remote but it's nice to have the pedal for working shallow cover and docks. the terrova stow and deploy is much better than the powerdrive and the foot pedal works similar to a cable steer but not as responsive. No experience with the motor guide but they seem to be the motor of choice for kayaks because no pedal is needed and they make a very short shaft option.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts