Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally starting to catch some a few walleyes but I seem to be losing a ton. They just keep shaking the darn hook loose. Often when they just come to the surface and I can tell what and how big they are.

Tried setting the hook better, and keeping the line tight, but still they shake it loose..

Mainly catching them on Jigs n Minnows now..

Tips anyone?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Keep your rodtip up and make sure that it is bent at all times when a fish is on.

When the fish makes it to the surface there is always a split second when the line goes slack because you are using enough energy to pull the fish through the water but not enough to lift it out and above it. When you see the fish and know it is about to surface pull back just a little on the rod to add extra tension. I have to do this for smallies all the time since they like to jump and flip all over place while bringing them in.

You might also want to sharpen your hooks or buy new jigs. I remember loosing a bunch of walleye one day just because I thought the jig I was using on the 2 previous days was lucky. As soon as I put a new one on I was back to business.

just my 2 cents . . . :D

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Good info Sean. Like he said, always keep good tension. One very common mistake I see over and over is anglers quickly changing their rod angle for either comfort or to try to turn a fish. I see more fish of all species lost this way then anything else. In a sense anglers change the hook angle and apply pressure when doing this. It reminds me of popping a hook out with a pair of pliers. Just keep steady pressure on the fish and rely on a good rod and a smooth drag. If you are losing fish when they are making runs, loosen up the drag a little. As long as their are no obstructions to deal with, there is no reason to try to rush a fight.

Gotta run but interesting topic. I'm curious to see some of the other tips presented.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Walleye will also fight you for the minnow. In other words they have the minnow in their mouth but not the hook. As you get them close to the surface, they simply let go or win the battle by ripping the minnow loose.

If your fishing in a fairly snag free area, try a stinger hook. Another way to stop this is to be very patient when you feel the first bite, drop your rod tip and allow them time take the hook in. Problem is, sometimes you'll actually feel them drop the bait. It all depends on how aggressive they are biting that day. :wink:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well results for last night on Fox lake were better than usuall, managed to land 5 walleyes, biggest being only 13 and 3/4" Ugghhhh!!!!!! But keeping the rod up and tension on the line really helped a ton, and made sure to tie on a new jig. Now Im pretty sure that ones I lost were just holding the minnow in there mouth. Gotta find out how to rig up a stinger hook.

Thanks a ton guys!

Anybody every use those berkley realistix minnows with any luck?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Danno said:
Gotta find out how to rig up a stinger hook.
They make jigs with two eyeholes. One for your line to tie around and one for the stinger.

You can buy stinger setup that comes with a small stinger hook (a treble with one short hook that you imbed in the tail of the bait. The hook is connected to a three inch piece of line that you can tie or clip to the jig I was talking about.

Here's a basic pic.

You can do a similar setup with out the special jig.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
If you are casting and get snagged a lot on the treble style trailers, ther are also the single hook spinnerbait type where the hole on the trailer hook goes over the main hook and is held on by slipping a little rubber piece over the main hook. This could be used with a jig and minnoe as well. Might be a little stiffer though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.