Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I have never been trout fishing before, well once at a trout farm when I was 6.

I called my dad and asked him if he would be interested in some trout fishing on Sunday, over at Silver lake. He agreed. The only problem is I have never been trout fishing and would really like to know.

Most the research I have done on the internet leads to river/stream fishing, with a fly rod. I have a 6'6" ugly stick with an open face spinning reel, and two other rods 5'5" and 5'6" with open face spinning reels. The ugly stick has 20lb mono test and the other poles have 8 lb mono test. I'm guessing that these will work. But I just need to know a couple of things.

Which poles would you suggest?
What type of bait? Live or Fake?
What are the best areas? (silver lake suggestions would be great)

I know I am going to put one pole out with a wax worm, try to get a walleye or two. Any advice would be great, this way me and my dad can have a great day fishing.

This will be my dad and I's first time on a fishing trip together. He used to be an avid deer hunter, but I am trying to convert him. (maybe he will fall in love with fishing again and buy a boat! :wink: )

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
For trout fishing 4 or 6 pound test should work just fine. I would use the Berkley trout bait and possibly small inline spinners.

20 pound mono on a spinning reel? That is overkill for any type of fishing around here. I usually use 8 pound mono on my spinning reels for most fishing situations. On baitcasters I go up to 12 pound in mono. For more strength I use braided lines which have a much smaller diameter than mono. I think that you might be not getting as many fish as you could be with that large of line.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.