Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm staying in the Aurora area for awhile. It's easy for me to get out for an hour or two at sunrise for shore fishing, then get on with the rest of my day. That's what I did yesterday and today (Wed and Thurs).

I went to the same spot both days. Both days were warm and overcast. Wednesday turned out to be more of a numbers day. I caught 8 and missed 6, all on a whopper plopper 60 perch color. Here are a few photos:
Water Cloud Fin Fish Sky

Water Plant Lake Fin Fish

Water Fin Fluid Underwater Fish

Plant Organism Fish Fin Marine biology

Sometimes I use grippers until I get the fish unhooked. Those trebles are concerning so I pull out the grippers.
Plant Fish Food Grass Tail

Today was more of a size day. I caught only 1, but it was a nice 14 or 15 incher. I also missed 2 others. One was a huge blowup on the buzzbait. It was big whatever it was. Fitting for a day of size not numbers.
Water Plant Vertebrate Fish Salmon-like fish

Lots of fish activity both days. Lots of fish breaking the surface. Lots of mosquitoes and gnats. Even saw a raccoon on the shoreline. Fun to be out at the river catching fish on top!

·
Registered
21 Posts
One thing for sure, no two days on the Fox are ever the same! As soon as I think I have the river figured out, it changes on me. You conquered the first step by getting out there! Nice fish!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
One thing for sure, no two days on the Fox are ever the same! As soon as I think I have the river figured out, it changes on me. You conquered the first step by getting out there! Nice fish!
Very much agree the Fox is hard to figure out. It's happened 3 or 4 times this season where I have a great morning there, am excited to go back the next morning to the exact same spot using the exact same lures, then get skunked. Can never figure out what's different in a mere 24 hours. Part of the challenge!

ETA: even today, I was excited to get back out there because of all the fish and blowups the day before. Yesterday was 14 landed fish or blowups. Today I worked hard to get 1 fish and 2 other blowups. Not sure why it was so different. Water level drop? Moon phase? Sun spots? Wind direction? More or fewer gnats? Whatever changed, it sure keeps it interesting out there.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Nice fish! How was the clarity? I have a buddy that just moved out to West Dundee and wants me to get out there and fish the Fox. I hope I can get out that way soon, I see the flow is pretty low but I seem to think the fox stays rather stained in the summer.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Nice fish! How was the clarity? I have a buddy that just moved out to West Dundee and wants me to get out there and fish the Fox. I hope I can get out that way soon, I see the flow is pretty low but I seem to think the fox stays rather stained in the summer.
Yes the foxriver is always stained but lots of smallmouth up to the Algonquian Dam than mostly large mouth

1 - 10 of 10 Posts