1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Get a medium heavy rod with a 10-20 lb line rating. And get one with a good warranty like a shimano. Then jut set the drag on your reel and youll never need a broom handle rod like that tiger rod, its just too thick and heavy. -all the reviews on cabelas are good but did you notice they were all fising in the ocean?

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
I bought one of these for when I went to Jamaica. These are big cat rods for flatheads or big channel cats. Unless you are fishing some heavy current and know you are targeting big fish I would not bother.

·
Registered
513 Posts
WrenchingnFishing said:
I dunno... I gotta keep my mouth shut about things... :mrgreen: Thanks!!! :D
I think I understand bud. 8)

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hey wrench talk as much as you want,read my post under ig took that reel back to bass pro guy started to give me some crap, like they all do that ,got pissed raised the voice a little got my money back Then picked out a couple reels asked if i could make a combo to save some money said no,must buy the combos they have Bought nothing went to cabelas asked same queston ,no problem any reel i picked had to be a cabelas rod, i am broke know

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I just read your I'G' Post Oldsalt. Yea, the Bass Pro brand of the US reel is junk. The "real" US Reel Supercast 230's is awesome. I don't know what Bass Pro did, but their reels are junk. So what Reel Did you end up buying at Cabelas?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Shimano symetre
saros 1000
Almost bought the us reel too, but i got my eye on a bait caster .i am going to get that shimano, calais dc, screw it in five years i retire and i wonit have pot to piss in but i will be fishing in style
Another thing i picked up at cabelas were some wiggle warts chug bugs thundercranks 1.88 per lure that is cheap Dicks had manns new waker series cranks on clearence then 20 percent of of that came to 2.38 per crank

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
From what I hear the calais dc isnt a huge improvement over a regular calais, and they are both heavy because they are a few years old. Ive been ebaying and I bid up a new in box calais (no dc) to 170 and it sold for 240 3 days ago. I am hoping to win a chronarch mg51 in a couple days for light lure fishing. If you are thinking of getting a nice baitcaster I would go with daiwa zillion, sol, or fuego. Or one of shimanos brand new reels like curado, chronarch d or even a chronarch mg 50/51 which you can get for 168 from tackle wharehouse. I just think the dc is too expensive and heavy.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
oldsalt said:
i got my eye on a bait caster .i am going to get that shimano, calais dc, screw it in five years i retire and i wonit have pot to piss in but i will be fishing in style
The specs and reviews on that calais with the dc system are phenomenal...can't wait to hear what you think of it=)

·
Registered
748 Posts
Thats what i read about it, its been on the web for 480 +10 for shipping, it is just a dream right know, but i get a vacation check at the end of this month,but i donit take the time off so who knows The only bad news i read is the weight and the price

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Sounds good oldsalt. The symetre is not a bad reel at all, well priced too!. I do not own one but have used them before. I am stuck on Daiwa Bait Casting reels and US spinning reels. The Daiwa Zillion is a nice reel. I like the 7:3 gear ratio in the hyper speed special edition. 11 ball bearings as compared to the standard 7:1 zillion wich is a 6 ball bearing reel. I Hope you enjoy and are satisfied with your new reels.

This is my next purchase!!!! :D http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rchResults :D I can't wait!!!

I can talk about reels all day long!!! :p Reel and Rod shopping is like Dave and Busters to me! :lol:

Sorry for kinda hi-jacking the thread Chris_C. By any chance, what species do you mostly target. I am sure we can match ya up a rod for most baits as well as most species. A Medium fast action rod at 7'2"s would be perfect for walleye to bass, to even some catfish n carp. A medium/heavy is also a good way to go as well.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Yea that is a little to stiff,maybe go a little liter, and you could use the rod for other fish to, but i donit know what cats are you going for and what kind of water I use to fish for cats a lot, not much anymore,

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.