Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the Axehead shuffle this morning. Got a couple of A-head Specials. Haven't had anything on the line in a couple of weeks(weather/time constraints and/or bad caddying) so these couple of fish were long overdue.

I switched over from cranks to smallish plastics that seem to work so well at the Head. This being the case I went over to the the ultra light from the bait cast. Definitely a lot of fun but...i had half of the fish spit the hooks. Is the down side to ultra light the fact that you can't get a decent hook set or is my return to mono filament the cause? The last one I lost was a nice fish. As soon as I had him on I kept the rod up at the 12 o'clock position but he never let up to give it a good set and flipped. Any ideas or thoughts?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I definitely will try that. Out of frustration I switched back to my light set up I was using last year. I have landed just about everything except a real pig yesterday at OCC. I set the hook and he was stripping line on the dives. I got him to the shallows for that silver flash. He was a nice one. Three feet from shore he broke water and spit the hook. I was pissed. Ive been getting some nice action there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, OCC is pretty good. The water is pretty merky though. My buddy and I haven't cought anything over 15" there at all this year. I only wish Northwestern would let you fish their water the way that OCC does, very hard fighting bass come out of there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.