Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer:: NOT interested in individual honey-holes, but information on possible access areas for the success of Esox Lucius is ideal. :lol:

A friend from my site and I are probably gonna head over to the river for some possible Pike at some point this weekend. Don't know when, nor where.

He wants to head up to the areas up north where the success has been had from many of you in northern Cook co. and Lake co. (he lurks here :lol:). As for me, I prefer staying down south near Riverside because I know that the same success can be had down here if we take the time to figure it out. Unlike being 40-mins away, the river is only 10-minutes east from us and it's not a haul to get to.

We both have waders for working the shorelines. Got the adequate gear and tools. Cameras too.

Anyone have ideas for possible ideas up north if we decide on taking that route? Access areas and safe areas for parking is the main info I am in pursuit of. The rest can be left for us because that's the fun part.

PM me if you'd like. If you want to go fancy on me, drop me an e-mail at [email protected]

thanks guys.

PS - this is one of the possible areas down by me. Tried it on Saturday for a little over an hour, nothing yet. How comparable does this area look to the ones that have been good up north?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I dont know how far north your looking, but right by me at work in Lake Forest, off route 60 and just east of Milwaukee there a canoe launch that looks like it has some promising honey holes. Im planning on hitting it after work today. Got my waders and poles with me, so Im all set.
How deep does the river get? I guess i mean, is it pretty wadeable?

·
Registered
327 Posts
The river, especially right now, is very shallow and most the fish I've been hitting have been in 4' of water or less. You can wade, kind of, but the problem is the DP is almost all mud/muck along the shoreline rather than gravel like other rivers and you will slowly sink into that nasty stuff. That being said, waders or knee-high water proof boots will allow you to at least fish at water level rather than 2' up & off the bank.
That area looks very similar to where they've been hitting for me, Andrew. Smaller, "deeper" holes in slack areas are very good when you can find 'em close to shore, otherwise I just pitch baits downstream from every downed tree I run into, especially when the current is slow or non-existent behind it. With the river being somewhat narrow in our neck of the woods as well as shallow, any eddy you run into is a safe bet. For specific access areas Andrew, check your PM, and as always, good fishing.

P.S. Hit up the river yesterday from 3:45-4:45... ended up with the skunk... 1st cast with my bucktail felt like I snagged a plastic bag or gob of leaves til my line went sideways... half-assed hookset followed... fish stayed down/never saw it, but the fact that I never saw the fish and how my musky stick was doubled over for the 5 seconds I had the fish on tells me she was a gator. Till next time...

Alex

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.