Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Using the Senko Bait - Part 1

8K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  Moosert78 
#1 ·
Senko Fishing - Part I
By Jason W. Norris

Many of you have heard of the popular Senko lure. What is the Senko? The answer is simple, yet not so simple.

Made by Gary Yamamoto Custom Baits, the Yamasenko, or "Senko" is a plastic worm; a jerk bait; a stick bait; a very versatile bait that has proven to be very effective at catching fish.

Let me first say that I'm in no way doing an ad for Senko's. Quite simply, I've found great success with this bait and write this rudimentary article about it as a result of the several inquiries about it from fellow fishermen.

Basically, the Senko is a soft plastic worm bait. What makes it different is that the simple design of this bait is what makes it so versatile. It is heavier than most plastic worms and is generally meant to be fished weightless. The Senko acts more like a dying minnow than it does as a worm imitator. Compared to other baits, it is most similar to a Slug-Go, only heavier. This allows for fantastic casting ability (especially weightless), with more options for retrieve than the Slug-go.

Like I said, the Senko is a "simple" bait and THIS is what makes it effective. Upon casting, the Senko stays in a horizontal position while falling. A twitch or two of the fishing rod then makes it look just like a minnow. The soft plastic body has a very natural look which seems irresistible to fish, especially bass.

A basic Texas-rig, without the weight is the way to go. Cast, let it fall a bit, twitch it - make it "come alive"; this is the essence of how to work the Senko. Of course, fish like different things at different times so that is where you get creative.

There are other ways to rig the Senko as well as other techniques that are effective which I will be covering in future articles.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.