Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some how, some way, the wife allowed me to escape to the river on Valentine's Day... what's she up to...

Fished 1 - 4 pm in some markedly high water. Mainly tossed a 3" GULP minnow on a single hook & split shot along current breaks & close to shore, but also slow rolled a black & red spinnerbait & dead-sticked a husky jerk. The results were simply... Pepe le Pew. Had a couple bites where the fish picked up the GULP but dropped it before I set the hook, though after a long winter even the snags got the heart beating faster. Was nice to be out regardless of the results, and I was able to scout a couple new spots on the way home.

In hindsight, making the long trek back to my old stomping grounds on the DP for some Pike may have been a better option, but any time spent on the water is time well spent in my opinion. Until next time, good fishing.

Alex

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It did feel great to wet a line in open water, Darth, especially after a long, cold winter. On top of that, part of my abscence from WCF had to do with two ACL reconstructive surgeries (Sept & Dec), with only a few minor outings sandwiched between. As a result the cabin fever has been more pronounced this year, which probably also led to enough pity from the wife to allow me an outing yesterday :).

That's also the reason I have not yet ice-fished Wonder Lake, Sean, though I got my share of open water outings last season. Not ready to tear my knee a 3rd time chasing flags on the ice.

As far as yesterday goes, it was a bit surreal to be standing knee deep in the river with some snow around me & dozens of snowboarders racing downhill behind me (did that give away my location?) Regardless, I enjoyed shaking the rust off, which can only lead to... Good Fishing.

Alex

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.