Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
My fishing consists of probably 75% of wading rivers.

I have waders of both styles. Don't seem to have much of a preference. My main thing is that as long as I can move anywhere, possibly run in them, and as long as they don't leak, they're good enough for me.

Are you planning on buying neoprene waders, or breathables?

With neoprene waders, I prefer the style with built-in boots. For breathables, I like the stocking-foot models (separate boots).

·
Banned
655 Posts
Neoprene is insulated fabric, best suited for fishing waters that are colder than around 50-60degres in temperature.

It comes in different thickness of fabric (in millimeters), anywhere from .5mm, 1mm, 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, and at the most or even more, 5mm.

There are some pros and cons to the neoprene waders.

The pros:

- keeps you warm, insulated, etc
- Perfect for wading rivers in late-fall, winter, and early-spring.

The cons:

- the thicker the fabric, the harder it is to walk and move through water. My belief is to wear as thin of a neoprene wader as you can, without getting cold.

I have a set of 2mm neoprenes and also a set of 4mm neoprenes. I wear the 4's when fishing waters below freezing, and the 2's I wear at any given time when water temperatures are still cool - like right now. Personally, I like the 2's more than anything.

As for breathable waders, they are what they are - breathable - made of very light fabric. They offer zero insulation, but offer a protective lining between you and the water. They're best in use during the summer when it's hot and when you don't want to get wet.

Some random info::: If you buy directly from the Cabela's store in Hoffman, don't listen to what the wader salesmen say. The consensus from me and my friend, who is a store employee in shoe department, is that they don't know about the products they're talking about, nor its specifications while they are selling.

Anything else, let me know.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.