Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im gunna probably buy a pair of waders this year for next fall. What kinds of waders do you use, which brands suck, and which brands are good and what price range are the nice ones worth buying at a good value? I want a good pair that wont start to leak in 2-3 years, im looking for a durable reliable pair and am willing to drop a few bucks if its a reliable brand.

any suggestions?

·
Registered
825 Posts
BassMasterErik said:
I want a good pair that wont start to leak in 2-3 years, im looking for a durable reliable pair and am willing to drop a few bucks if its a reliable brand.

any suggestions?
I really like my Cabela's breathable waders. I like pretty much like everything that I own that is Cabela's brand but especially the waders. They really pay attention to detail with their products and they are high quality. The only other brand I owned was Hodgman and their quality was far inferior imo. I've heard good things about LL Bean and the Orvis brand too. I wouldn't think twice about getting Columbia waders considering the quality of theri outdoor wear. Simms are supposedley great but you can get a better value elsewhere.

In terms of being reliable and not leaking, most of that depends on you. How often will you wear them? Where will you hike through to get to the water? Some guys get 10 years out of waders. Some guys go through several pair a season. I've had mine 1.5 seasons but I don't use them too heavily. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I look forward to the answers on this post as I am in the market as well.

I bought a cheapo ($90) house brand pair from Gander and they worked fine for a couple seasons. I am looking for a new pair because the tread on the attached boots wore out. This time around I'm 100% going with stocking foot. I'll probably buy another cheap pair as they all rip the same. I would like reinforced knees, a pocket, rock guard if not too much extra.

Again look forward to the responses.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
BassMasterErik said:
I want a good pair that wont start to leak in 2-3 years, im looking for a durable reliable pair and am willing to drop a few bucks if its a reliable brand.

any suggestions?
If you find a pair that don't leak after 2-3 years let me know and I will buy them too :)

I like the gander guide seriies breathable one's as well. They have held up the best so far. My hodgman neoprenes leaked 2nd seaason, Ken G has it down right. Hogdman=german for leaky crotch :)

If money isn't part of the consideration I would go with Sims or Orvis. Couple of buddies have those and they laugh at me every few years when I show up with a new pair on.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I also own a pair of hodgman rubber hip waders I use for fly-fishing and for wading rivers and throwing topwaters. I like them alot, I've had them for two years, but right now they have a leak in the left foot. I found the leak and I'm just gonna patch it for like three bucks. I"m sure hodgmans' ain't the nicest ones you can get, but for thirty bucks, I said what the hell.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I went with Orvis and they lasted me about 6 years until they started leaking. The funny thing is. They did not just leak from poor quality. They started leaking because I got a hook in the crotch and I ended up ripping it out. They barely leaked after that, but it got worse and worse after moving around more and more after many trips out. A few guys may remember from the fall of me complaining I sprung a leak and froze my balls off due to cold water and my waders in the fox river. I went with the 3mm Neoprene. Those waders were the most comfortable waders I have ever used. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I've heard good things about Cabela's Blue Stream waders, and the Backcountry wading boots with the cleated soles.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Cranked nailed it.

I've owned 2 pairs of Hodgmans as well as the Cabela's "Super Mag" armor flex 5 mm neoprenes...none lasted more than a year.
To Cabela's credit they did refund the money without hassle after their product failed.
Hodgman however....well let's just say they will never ever see another dime of my money.

I've never known anyone to own a pair of Hodgmans that didn't leak.

Columbia makes products for people whose idea of outdoor adventure is the walk from the house to the car. Their waders are a joke.

I'm currently on my second pair of LL Bean "Emerger" series waders. I bought the Beans based on the warranty and the price. ($99)
The first pair failed in less than a year but they returned and replaced them without a hassle.
My second pair haven't seen enough time in the water to really comment yet...but if they fail I'll just return them again for another new pair...until I have enough saved up for a pair of Simms.

Despite the price...Simms is far and away the best value for your money.
They have a fantastic warranty and repair service.
Reviews from customers grade them consistently above expectation.
A friend of mine is on his 3rd year with them and couldn't be happier....and I have talked to guys who are on their 10th year :shock: without any issues whatsoever.

Patagonia is another company that makes an exceptional wader.

You have no perspective on what wading in comfort means until you've tried breathables....I greatly prefer them over neoprenes. Unless you are planning on using them in cold water exclusively.

Good Luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm in the market for some waders too. It looks like ebay has some neoprene waders for around 20-40, some of the brands mentioned.

But if you guys are hard pressed for cash, and looking for a REALLY cheap pair of new waders, this is the cheapest I found.

http://www.campingstation.com/vinyl-sto ... -1272.html

$7 dollars for a pair of waders. I've used them, and even though they are cheap quality, for the price it is a great deal. I guess you guys could buy a pair and have them for a buddy who rarely fishes if you don't want them for yourself. Or maybe if you rarely go wading you might want them. Or maybe even as a back up emergency pair.

They don't have boots though and even if you technically could wear your shoes under it, I wouldn't suggest it.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I like Cabela's premium dry plus breathables. My last pair survived 3 years of frequent abuse before developing a pinhole leak due to a snagged treble. If not for my own clumsiness, I have no doubt I could of gotten another season out of them at least. The only other brand I've used are Hodgemans and neither pair I owned made it through an entire season before developing a leak. If you've got the money, I've always heard Simms are the best.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.