Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Spoonman,
Here's something I've been wondering about. How difficult is it for everyone to put on their wading boots? (wading boots + breathables) I have an extremely difficult time getting on my wading boots over the neoprene bootie. I don't know if it is because I have relatively inexpensive BPS wading boots or what. I started wearing some hip boots back when the water was real high and I knew I wasn't going to go very deep. It was so much easier just slipping the boot on rather than the hassle with my breathable plus boots. I was just looking at Cabela's a couple nights ago at some breathables with the built in boot. Something like this

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1

Just a thought. And I think Cabela's waders are great. They are a great value. I wouldn't pay twice as much to get Simms or Petagonia or any of those other top-end waders.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Spoon Man said:
decided i need some. i noticed darth using ll bean. do you like them?
what do you guys reccommend?
The Bean's leak in less than a full season. Unless you like dealing with returns and warranties etc...I would not recommend them at all.

Same goes for Cabela's waders. Had the top of the line 5 mm neoprene with armor flex blah blah blah for winter fishing and they failed miserably.

Both companies were fantastic in dealing with the return/exchange but from the perspective and experience of someone who does not divide his time between "boat" fishing or "shore" fishing...wading ALMOST exclusively as much as possible anyway...the products sucked.

Having said that...if you've never waded before I would recommend just picking up a cheap pair ($30/40) to see if you even like it and will be spending a significant amount of time wading.
I think "Pro line" makes a REALLY CHEAP rubber wader. You'll look like a douche in them...but who cares right?=)
Another place to check for inexpensive waders is Sierra Trading Post. They usually have some pretty good deals...just don't expect too much from cheap waders.

Simms waders have the most consistently positive customer reviews...and the few people I know who actually own them...LOVE them.

Hope that helps a little=)

·
Registered
825 Posts
Spoon Man,
A lot of people have a lot of different opinions on waders. Just for curiosity sake, I went and looked at a bunch of different opinions on some different web sites. Some go high-end, some stick to the middle (like myself), and some keep buying Hodgmen and the BPS brands of the world. Sure, Simms are probably the best but they should be for costing as much as they do. My Cabela breathables (about $150) are going on 2 years and I couldn't be happier (except for getting the boots on). And I feel good in knowing how good their customer service is if something should happen. Good luck with your purchase. Paul

·
Registered
852 Posts
frogg togg canyon's . waded yakked wadded and abused for what 3 year's? Darth said to try them they are great.

get your felt boot a size big.

I think the whole setup s less than $125.

o yeah breathables hate fire so watch that smoking.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Any of you guys have any input on boot size. Im a 15, and the largest size made by Cabelas brand is 15. It has been mentioned to go up one size on the boot. I would defiantely want extra room so I could throw on some extra socks in the spring and fall. I was going to try and keep it around/under $100 if possible. They will only see maybe 10-15 uses a year. Another thing I have been considering is getting ones without the boot foot, and just using some old hiking boots. Any input on the hiking boot idea would be apreciated. I'm not really in a rush to get some, its just something I want to have to mess around in once in a while.
What it comes down to is, does anyone know who has.... foot size 16, tall, breathable, chest waders for less than $100? :oops: I know its a longshot.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Spoon Man said:
A couple guys i talk to had problems wit the cabelas to i think ill skip those.
where can i find the frogg toggs?
That's suprising. When I did some research a few years ago, Cabela's waders got excellent reviews. I have the premium dry plus and it's my opinion that for the money, they are the absolute best.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Here's my 2 cents, over the last 6yrs, i've put in over 1500hrs IN waders per year. Got a lot of friends who swear by Simms, but they wear out and seep just as much as the next brand. Dunno how much "real" wading you folks do out here, but if you're just stomping the shorelines of the local lakes, go with waist highs. The BPS White River brand is actually pretty good. If you shop Sportsmans Warehouse, their Pro Guide waders are great for $189 !! Mine lasted 3 full years of hard wading before the first small leak. Bean's new waders are still being tested by the consumers so we'll see what happens there. I do however have an older model Bean Gore-Tex "Wicked tough" pair and love em!
If you are serious about a great pair of waders for cheap - look at Albright, Sportsmans Warehouse, GuideLine, WIlliam Joseph , the new Hodgemans. If you have money to burn and don't mind sending at least one pair back to the vendor, look into Simms and Cloudveil :) MOst important thing to watch on waders - where the seams are! Seams on the inside of the leg will wear out faster than outside seams. Mostly seepage or pinhole leaks, but still a wet foot or leg!

Boots, one word - Korkers. Bar none, the most comfortable, lightest, and versitile boot out there. On my second pair in 5yrs and i beat the hell outta them! Personally, i prefer a more hiking boot style wading boot, as 99% of my fishing is in very rocky terrain with a ton of hiking mixed in. The Korkers have interchangable soles, you can pop in a hiker sole, and swap to felt or Aquastealth at the river in about a minute. If you get korkers, go 2 sizes bigger than street size, they have a tendancy to shrink a bit when wet. Rule of thumb for boots is AT LEAST 1 - 1.5x your street size. If you use 2mm neoprene booties go 1x, for 5mm go 2x big. Worst thing about tight boots is lack of circulation leading to very cold feet! ANd ALWAYS wear polypropelene liner socks with wool socks, breathes the best and your feet wont get damp from sweat.

Someone mentioned Pro Line, buyer beware! Their stitching is NOT the best, lots of exposed threads ( not recessed ) that will unravel quickly causing the boot to fall apart. Great boots for under $100 are Korkers CrossCurrent, Simms Guide, period.

And your environmental tidbit of the day - most companies are stopping the use of felt as sole material, and switching to Aquastealth, felt picks up too many AIS organisms. In fast, New Zealand has banned felt in the country, if you are caught using felt, big fine and a ticket outta the country!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.