Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bite is on a Wakegan. Fished from 8pm to 1am saw about 15 Kings caught. It was crazy. The kings were jumping all over the place. I was throwing glow Cleos & Woblers with no results but the bait they were using was the J-13 in perch and glow. The group next top me caught 8 with 30 minutes. It looks like the spoon bite is off and the cranks and stickbaits are the bait now for early AM or late PM.

I will be back out there tonight again.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Id love to head out there this weekend, let me know if anyone goes this weekend.

Would my bass gear hold up to a king?

I saw IslandFishers previous thread so im pretty sure of what lures n such to bring.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Are those the floating j-13 rapalas? I heard that people put weights on them to keep them down in the water. I have used floating rapalas for a bass topwater bait before but never thought salmon ate of the top. Should I add weight when I use the j-13 or let it float on a slow retrieve?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Islandfisher said:
Are those the floating j-13 rapalas? I heard that people put weights on them to keep them down in the water. I have used floating rapalas for a bass topwater bait before but never thought salmon ate of the top. Should I add weight when I use the j-13 or let it float on a slow retrieve?
Yes some did and some didnt with a slow retrieve. They were biting close to shore so you dont have to cast to far out. From all the action I saw on the surface i figure the feeding column is between 1-5'.

This is the last week you can fish the South rocks before they close it for rennovation. If you guys are going out there this weekend get there early because its going to be packed. I will be heading up to Kenosha this weekend.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Danno said:
Id love to head out there this weekend, let me know if anyone goes this weekend.

Would my bass gear hold up to a king?

I saw IslandFishers previous thread so im pretty sure of what lures n such to bring.
Yes your bass gear will hold up just make sure the drag isn't to tight.
My set up is 7' med spinning 14# braid at night and 10 -12 # flour P-Line when sunrise and sunset.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Does it have to be jointed or 13 ?

Too bad they stopped making the countdown jointed rapalas ,good thing I have a few saved :wink:

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Yes, they are referring to the J-13 original floating Rapalas that are like 5 1/4 inches long. I know this for a fact. :wink: There is a way to modify them with either weight or rattles(my favorite). If you like this has been discussed about a year ago on another Chicago site. With respect to Jay, I won't post a link to that site but if anyone that is interested wants to PM or e-mail me I will get you connected to the link. The Thundersticks are another bait that works too.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I went into Henry's today and asked for a J-13. I told him they were using them in Waukeegan for the Salmon run. The guy behind the counter seemed to feel it was pretty weird to use a J-13. He felt it may have been more luck than anything else. First time there. They definitely look like they know what they are doing. They suggested frenzies and reef runner sticks.

Oh....and this afternoon.....skunk at Montrose.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Last year at the end of September it was almost impossible to find J-13's, especially in the better colors. All I know is that they do work for salmon.

The thing that you have to remember with shore fishing for salmon this time of year is that a lot of times the salmon isn't striking the bait because it is hungry. They are striking it because they are pissed off.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.