Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bangs Lake Wauconda Feb 2 2008
I run the Walk on Water derby and I'm starting to get things rolling here. The charity ice derby raises money for families battling the hardships of cancer. this will be the forth year, I've hosted it and every year it has become bigger and better. Please take the time to check out the website, there is a past events button where you can check out last years event.
http://www.icebenefit.com
I'm always looking for ways to get the word out and new sponsors if you have any idea please feel free to get in touch.

Thanks

Brent

·
Registered
130 Posts
Don't miss this event !!!! This is a very well organized and fun event for a great cause. Being a cancer survivor, I know first hand what a family goes through when this illness strikes. It can be devastating emotionally and financially. Brent is tireless when it comes to setting up these charity events. Every year just keeps getting better.

Never ice fished before ?? It's a great time to try it with lots of people to lend a hand and show you the basics.

Let's all help Brent ...... Help Others. :wink:

More info and Pre-registraton at www.icebenefit.com

·
Administrator
5,370 Posts
I remember the one last year was brutally cold and I decided to sleep in and stay warm. Should have gone.

I'll be there this year regardless of conditions.

Be sure to email me any info/ads and i'll post them on the site.

·
Registered
594 Posts
No gear?
No problem, just show up..

Though we can't control the wind chills..
This year post fishing activities are planned for indoors.

Very well run and organized event, and all for a good cause..
I've been to each one with my kids..

:D

·
Registered
594 Posts
I talked with Brent today.
Bangs has ~5 inches of ice.

By February 2nd it should be close to 10 inches.
Afterwards, all are moving off the ice to JJ Twigs
in Wauconda for food, beverages and raffles....

We'll be there with a group from the south burbs..
I know it might have been mentioned on a different thread.. :roll:
Ignore my ignorance..

But is anyone here going?
Can we make this the thread for updating?

Its one week from this Saturday.
February 2nd..
** :D

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
me too. count me in! i wussed out last year because of the frigid cold.

never been out on the ice so someone needs to show me the ropes. anybody got room for me in their shanty? i'll bring beer and beef jerky!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Augy said:
me too. count me in! i wussed out last year because of the frigid cold.

never been out on the ice so someone needs to show me the ropes. anybody got room for me in their shanty? i'll bring beer and beef jerky!
Dress in layers, we'll see how the weather is doing that week.
No wussing this year!

We have room!
I'll trade use of gear for a bag of halloween type candy for the kids.
I might have a beverage, plus I'll have some of my homemade jerky.

Many will be out at the start, which is ~7am.
We're travelling up from the south burbs with kids so we'll be on the ice by 9:30.

Plenty of time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
§ 92.107 FROZEN SURFACE WATERS.
(A) Vehicles prohibited. It is hereby declared to be unlawful and no person shall operate or drive a motor vehicle over and upon the frozen surface waters of that body of water known as Bangs Lake. Motorcycles are specifically so prohibited.

(Ord. 2002-O-02, passed 1-15-2002)

sorry Brent

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Just an ice report for Bangs Lake from yesterday... 8 inches and growing!!! It's not snowing up there as hard as in Schaumburg right now. Creepers might be a must have if the snow does not stick to the ice... Unfortunately I don't think I will be going...

PS: I heard all this info just about 30 minutes ago from a friend that lives by Bangs Lake

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok guys sorry to jump the gun I had a lot of people asking about the ATV and I do remember someone saying you can't have them so I went on line to the Wauconda Village site and found that law. I have call both the village and the police and they both verified that it is ok to use your toys so bring them, again sorry, I just reported what I found

·
Registered
424 Posts
Well didnt catch any fish but had a Great time with everyone out there today. Thank You Brent Family and crew for another Great event I'm looking forward to next year already.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WoW has continued to grow each year and as those that work with me, I tend to stress out. I could not put together this event with out the people that give up their time to fish, or be with their friends to help me. So first and foremost I need to thank, Bud, Fran, Dennis, Tod, Trine and WOW the wonderful Women of WOW, Patty, Karie, and Denise

I also need to say thanks to all of my sponsors for the great prizes as well as a few individuals that donated items from the kindness of their heart for Saturday.

I also need to thank the local businesses Wauconda Boat for the parking Docks for parking and giving up their lunch time business. JJ Twigg that provided spot for us to gather after wards and for the free pizza.

For the first time in a while we had perfect weather,about 30 degrees and the wind was light. This years biggest challenge was the snow and traction. One might think 6 inches of snow on the lake you wouldn't need ice creepers, but the lakes surface was slick if the snow wasn't packed down.

WoW is becoming a family event, this year we had a dozen women anglers and about two dozen children out fishing. This is Great!!! As we continue to grow there has already been talk to have a prizes categories for: more pan fish, different game fish, the Ice Rigger and women, as well as continue with the prizes for the 12 and under.

Now for the numbers:
number of attendees 165
number of dollars raised over 3600.00 for the Andrea Lynn Cancer Fund
number of parking spots left at Dock's=0
number of Advil/ Aleve taken after= just short of enough
number of pizzas consumed= your guess is as good as mine

Please remember if you visit a WOW sponsor thank them for being involved, and also if any one has pictures please send me a pm, I would like to have copies.

Thank to everyone the attended.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Brent thanks again great event and great cause!!!! I am glad that there was such a great turnout!
I didnt catch a whole lot but it didnt matter, I think I ended up talking with some new and old friends more than fish anyway. Tod (KP) thanks for the shuttle service and the use of your vex. I cant wait for next years event!

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
sorry sorry! i flaked again! but it's good to hear there was such a great turnout!

brent, maybe next year i'll be able to sponsor your tournament as a manufacturer. thanks for all your hard work.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Had a good time, no fish in our camp either.

Marked a bunch and had a few shoppers but no fish to hand.

No flags either, but thats fishing..

Spent the whole day out without incident.
Kids running and jumping everywhere and acting crazy..
Walking back I slipped and landed on my hip. :?

But it was fun and we'll be back again.

Thanks to Brent, his family and helpers and JJ Twigs.
All for a good cause!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.