Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out for a couple of hours in and around the dam last night and after hitting a couple of spots, decided to move down river. Since, the water has dropped I was using a 1/32 ounce jig and large fatheads. Saw an old heron working a slack pool and decided to walk around him and fish the pool from a downstream to upstream progression. I was getting bit but not sticking any fish so after donating some minnows , I switched to an octopus hook and bb size split shot. Caught a dozen 10 to 12 inch walleyes but I knew there were bigger fish to be had. I walked in a bit deeper and started throwing away from current into slacker water and was rewarded with 16 and 17 inch walleyes.Caught 4 total and then not a bite for 15 minutes. I had enough of the cold and standing in the water so I called it a night. All my action was a hour after dark and the bigger walleye wanted the bait dragged slowly across bottom. I did take some pictures of the largest walleye but I have never put a picture up on the web before...so... unless I have a bunch of time or get inspired it probably won't happen. I was surprised to see 3 different groups of anglers coming in as I was leaving, I thought they were getting there a bit late for the hot bite but what did I know? One of the anglers told me he would like to chat but he had to get to HIS spot before someone else took it..... My only thought when river fishing is NEVER get married to a spot, but to try to be open minded and think what is going on TODAY not what happened last Thursday...just my two cents The Fishin Musician 8)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am glad to hear that there were enough fish in MY spot for both of us :) I have been fishing the same spot for the past 3 nights with great success just as you had. I do not have waders so I am a bit limited as to where I can find walleyes and that spot has been quite productive this fall.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Hey FM-
That report was not only informative but insightful(sp?). I think alot of people focus on the "money" sites at which time the other less obvious locations become overlooked. On the other hand, one man's treasure can be another man's treasure if fished 15 minutes later with another approach.
As shown, the walleye bite is still accessible, the hard plastics are just filed for a future date. I've learned alot from this site and individuals that are quick to adapt, the season isn't over just because one thing still isn't working. Adapting is the key. Another pattern that has emergered is to forget about the sunset bite and focus on the offering. I've seen more successful posts on walleyes that occur after the sun is gone then those relying on the sunset.

Thanks for providing proof to those, including me, that the bite for walleye isn't gone until ice out.

FYI, photobucket.com is an excellent site for posting pics. After creating a login the upload and post can be fairly straight foward.

Either way the lesson that can be drawn from that post speaks volumes beyond the slide show that can be provided!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Good Job out there, Glad you found some Bigger Walleyes! I would love to see some pics... I'ts been slow lately for me, just a fish here and there. Nothing really active like your report.

Thanks for the Report!

Dave

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nice report.

Saturday night was a nice night to be out, but I have a feeling Sunday night would have been better. Sunday Night just had that feeling with the sleet and snow. I could only go Saturday, and had a lot less action than you. Three about 14". No wind on Saturday and with the low water I felt the Walleyes were skittish.

Three groups coming in, like 6 to 8 people? Could you tell if they were gonna use Live Bait or hard baits? I'd almost be too interested to leave, thinking someone knows something I don't.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Once upon a time the cold didn't bother us. Remember those days old man?

Here's a link to an old story that proves my point.

http://www.wadauwant.com/wd_journal/vie ... ?f=32&t=23

Some day, maybe, I'll do it again.

I think about it all the time. Then I think of being warm.

Hmmmm, I think that proves my point too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.