Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i didnt know whether to post this in "the tackle box" forum or here, oh well...
I'm planning on putting 6lb. braid on my UL walleye spinning setup. Its common knowledge that braid is way more sensitive than mono but i was wondering if anyone has problems with the visibility of the braid compared to mono. Anyone had any problems with visibility or anything else when using this setup?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
I only assume you are going to be jigging with it. Oddly enough braid seems to have no negative effect on walleyes when i jig with it. I swear by 6# (2# dia) Flame Green Fireline for vertical jigging and pitching jigs and i have no problem hauling them in. If you ever see anything in the walleye magazines or shows they are using flame or smoke

Though i am interested to see if the Crystal Fireline is better in super clear water (ie Indpendence Grove) vs the flame green (though it's worked well for me)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i will be only using it fore jigging... sounds good, now i can't wait to try it out. Did the extra sensitivity of braid help you feel more hits or is there really a difference at all?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,181 Posts
I would use the 10lb Power Pro, since it is the same diameter as the 6lb Fireline and it is a true braid. We used this for jigging in Canada and it worked great!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
toothdoc said:
I would use the 10lb Power Pro, since it is the same diameter as the 6lb Fireline and it is a true braid. We used this for jigging
in Canada and it worked great!
yea i think i'm going to try out the higher test braids with the small dia. see they perform agains the smaller test lines.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,272 Posts
Last year I gave the 4lb. Fireline a test run against 6 lb. Fireline walleye fishing the Fox over several trips. My original thought would be that they would produce about the same but the 4lb test had more hits at around a 3 to 1 ratio. Over three trips I only had one breakoff, which was my fault for not retying after a few fish. I think the 6 lb. is great in most situations, but last year the 4 lb was were it was at for me for the walleye and also finesse fishing bass. I have not tried the Crystal yet, but prefer the smoke color for Fireline. Good luck and I hope this helped a little bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FishinMatt said:
Last year I gave the 4lb. Fireline a test run against 6 lb. Fireline walleye fishing the Fox over several trips. My original thought would be that they would produce about the same but the 4lb test had more hits at around a 3 to 1 ratio. Over three trips I only had one breakoff, which was my fault for not retying after a few fish. I think the 6 lb. is great in most situations, but last year the 4 lb was were it was at for me for the walleye and also finesse fishing bass. I have not tried the Crystal yet, but prefer the smoke color for Fireline. Good luck and I hope this helped a little bit.
helped a lot, thanks for the info... btw on the 4lb. do you usually retie after every fish?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,272 Posts
Stevol82 said:
FishinMatt said:
Last year I gave the 4lb. Fireline a test run against 6 lb. Fireline walleye fishing the Fox over several trips. My original thought would be that they would produce about the same but the 4lb test had more hits at around a 3 to 1 ratio. Over three trips I only had one breakoff, which was my fault for not retying after a few fish. I think the 6 lb. is great in most situations, but last year the 4 lb was were it was at for me for the walleye and also finesse fishing bass. I have not tried the Crystal yet, but prefer the smoke color for Fireline. Good luck and I hope this helped a little bit.
helped a lot, thanks for the info... btw on the 4lb. do you usually retie after every fish?
Its the smart thing to do, but honestly I don't. I will check the line for any fraying, and if I see some, then I will retie. With that type of line in a river situation, it probably would be wiser to retie more often.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top