Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.fishing-headquarters.com/fishcast/?p=243

I've been wondering where to find walleyes on DPR for a long time. Next season i want to focus on walleyes inparticular because quite honestly i havent caught alot of them.

I've located the Pike, Bass, Crappie, Catfish, Carp on the river but have yet to catch a walleye, and since everyone is so secretive about there fishing spots (espesially good ones) its hard to get any good information. If anyone wants to give me an idea of how to fish for them/where to fish for them, i would be greatful.

I posted this link because it has some very interesting information about walleyes in Salt Creek. I think this guy is fishing in the NW Suburbs somewhere but i couldnt imagine walleyes being in the creek in the NW Suburbs. Am i wrong??

Cliff

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
There are for sure many walleyes in salt creek in the NW burbs, mostly in the deeper holes. I have lived right by busse and salt creek for a long time. I have been fishing there since I was a kid. If you fish the pool just a couple hundred feet south of the wwd and a little north of the elk grove high school. You are in a highly populated walleye area for this time of year. It gets pretty deep back there. Years ago I use to catch many walleyes on just a rod with a medium roach with 1 split shot on there. Whip it out, let it slowly drop to the bottom and retrieve your roach every 5 minutes by a couple feet at a time along the bottom. Let the minnow do the work and keep tension on your rod. Use a split shot small enough to hold against any current and to basically take a little bit to get towards the bottom just to hold your minnow down. This was a really productive way for me. a 7' plus rod or even 9 foot at times was best to lob your roach almost all the way to the other side of the pool and get a nice hook set. I would fish off the east side ;)

Hope this helps, Post a report when you get back if you can.

·
Banned
666 Posts
Cliff_G said:
I posted this link because it has some very interesting information about walleyes in Salt Creek. I think this guy is fishing in the NW Suburbs somewhere but i couldnt imagine walleyes being in the creek in the NW Suburbs. Am i wrong??
Yes.

I wrote that article and my intention for it is to lead and propose a study relating to fish migration.
My belief is that IDNR is worthless, and still will be for many years.
Therefore honest and conservation-minded people like myself and my creek and and river buddies should start something ourselves just so we figure it all out. I've got a small good group of close fishing buddies who are as interested in this as I am so anything is possible.

There's more better information in there if you know where to look.
I've written stuff about baits to use, what type of water to fish, and everything else one could expect to do.
And not to sound like a cocky son of a bitch who is on the recruiting trail, but it'd be smart to join our forum where you could learn lots more from some pretty darn good anglers.

Walleyes on creek and DPR is not an easy task or for the common angler - I've observed it, witnessed it, and experienced it. Takes lots of skill, extreme patience, experience, ability to read water and determine the all the rights from wrongs, and maybe just a little luck. Expect at least an 80% skunk rate if you try. (not counting Busse pool). It's some of the toughest kind of fishing you can do in these parts, but well worth it. I'd rather get skunked 4-7 days a week trying to catch rare 20-25 inchers than get dink Largemouth all day long. 8)

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys thanks for the tips. Much appreciated. I will report as soon as i can.

I have been to the Busse pool many times, but it seems to be way overfished. I never seem to do well over there. Also i dont know about you guys but i'd rather not fish with 20 other people and idiots tangling my line, which is why the salt creek was so interesting to me. Its seems more secluded and the average fisherman would not fish there.

I'm guessing if i want to find anything good i will have to go WAY south past Itasca and Addison? Water there looks pretty terrible. What time of year is best for these walleyes?

By the way i don't keep fish. If i caught a walleye there it would be released.

Cliff

·
Banned
666 Posts
Cliff_G said:
I'm guessing if i want to find anything good i will have to go WAY south past Itasca and Addison? Water there looks pretty terrible. What time of year is best for these walleyes?
Spring thru fall.
Fish at night with the lamps if you're not afraid of the dark and potential creeps living in the woods. (serious)

If there is any period of the year where I've found more fish being present but not really entirely, it's early summer (late May/early June), and all of October/November.... But with this place you never know. It's a hit or a miss.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.